Hatchlings aren't eating?

Neek

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm hoping someone or everyone could help me. i have 2 axies that hatched about 3 days ago now, but i don't think they're eating! though they must be if they're still alive right? or will they be dead tomorrow?
they've grown a little bit and from what i can tell, they look healthy. i've put in some daphnia and green shrimp, i just finished having a go at hatching BBS but i don't think they worked :S (nothing was moving, is BBS supposed to move?) very discouraging. i never see the axies eating. they're very still unless something touches them..... i don't want them to die!!
there are still about 60 more eggs that should be hatching in the next week and what if none of them eat? or if i can't get the shrimp to hatch, i have barely any daphnia left! PANIC!!!!
i'm trying to keep them warm enough by putting them in the warmest room in the house at the moment, their temperature is at about 14-15.c
please help me lovely knowledgeable peoples!

newly hatched animals survive the fist few days on the yolk that is still in the stomach, so it's not surprising that they're not very interested in food.

Only for a day normally before they get hungry but they can last 3-4 days on egg yoak, mine ate straight away pretty much from hatching.

i think they ate the brine shrimp i gave them last night, well they were moving spontaneously lol and there seems to be some poops in the container :) except their bellies aren't bulging so maybe they're not getting enough?
i now have 55 that have hatched and am waiting on 6 more, i'm a bit overwhelmed, don't know if i'm going to have enough containers to separate them when they start eating each other :S
the oldest ones are about a week old now, first i had about 3 or 4 hatch in the night, then 5 and 6 and this morning 1 woke to 10 newly hatched babies! the biggest ones are approx. 1.7cm (5 8ths of an inch?) the smaller ones approx 1.4cm

Here are some pictures i took all but 15 minutes ago...

9810-2-Copy.jpg

These are my biggest axies, there are 20 in this container

9810-4-Copy.jpg

Close up, smile!

9810-5-Copy.jpg

Pixie....a little too interested :eek: don't worry i didn't leave them with her

Heh, don't let the cat eat them ;)

Have you managed to hatch some brine shrimp then ok? They should all have fat little orange stomachs, and when they eat they do tiny little jumps.

Heh, don't let the cat eat them ;)

Have you managed to hatch some brine shrimp then ok? They should all have fat little orange stomachs, and when they eat they do tiny little jumps.

i don't think i'm hatching enough, their bellies don't seem to be bulging and the shrimp aren't even orange, they're white :( i think they're gona starve to death....

Are you using the same method on the video? Bottles, air pump, spoon of salt and a bit of baking powder, and a light on it? A light will help them hatch faster.

Can you get hold of any shop bought daphnia?

By the way they wont start 'eating each other' if they have enough food and if they have enough space.

Mel

yer same method pretty much, just smaller bottle. i got some daphnia from a local lake but i've run out so i think i'll go for a drive down there in a couple days

Look at microworm cultures too, there will be some on ebay. Keep trying with teh drine shrimp, as long as they are eating it then i wouldn't woprry too much. You may just have some crappy brine shrimp eggs. Best place to get them is ebay, ones with the 99% hatch rate or what ever.

Best place to get them is ebay, ones with the 99% hatch rate or what ever.

yer thats where i got mine, its called Artemia Revolution, its eggs without shells and it's like a liquid that you put a couple drops into the hatchery. i've asked ebay sellers overseas if they ship here but they can't because of customs, sucks because they sell them cheaper than here....

yep i'll get those, see how they work, how much is 20g worth?

Should last you at least a month, you don't need to hatch that many at a time.

i was getting worried about my food shortage so i chopped up some live bloodworms and gave them to the axies, the bigger axies managed (in a way) and for the first time their bellies are bulging! except i'm a bit worried as they haven't pooped yet, i know it will take a while to digest, but i won't rest easy til they pass it. what if they can't, what if i've just killed all of them?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back