Question: Deformed foot?

sek

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Neo
I picked my fourth axolotl up from the pet store yesterday, and the poor little guy has 6 toes on one of his front foot and also on his back. I wanted to check that this is just a deformation and not anything like an illness I should worry about. He's very happy and enjoy's all the room he has to swim around in with Sek :)

17-1.jpg

Hi
It could be old injuries that grew back wrong. My wild now has a bacwards back foot and 6 toes on her other back foot.
He should do fine even with his extra toes.

Can we have a full pic of him? (just because i'd like to see him :D)

Mel

hes a very cute Golden, I think I've got a secret craving for a golden...

Don't worry about feet, mine has merged tows on one rear leg, I think limb deformations are very common.

There are some guys here with axies with just 1 toe who are very happy.

I too would not worry about this deformation if it is not causing any distress. I wonder if your axolotl is a leucistic fed on carotenoid rich food rather than a golden. Does it have black eyes?

I too would not worry about this deformation if it is not causing any distress. I wonder if your axolotl is a leucistic fed on carotenoid rich food rather than a golden. Does it have black eyes?

Alonzo has blue eyes. He also has one pupil that is heart shaped! :D

Blue eyes mean black pigment so this is a leucistic or if no reflective pigment a melanoid leucistic, not a golden which have pinkish eyes. It's still a very nice looking axolotl!

Blue eyes mean black pigment so this is a leucistic or if no reflective pigment a melanoid leucistic, not a golden which have pinkish eyes. It's still a very nice looking axolotl!

I agree completely.
Well... about the nice looking part anyway. I didn't know any of that other stuff.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back