Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axolotl =)

AussiePaul

Reaction score
Hi all

Last friday I was out and about looking at some shops and found axolotls for $15 each, which is the cheapest I have seen them for a long time, so I just had to have one. This isn't my first axie, but it has been 18 months since I have kept one. I didn't have a tank ready to go but I filled my 30 gallon and stuffed a filter with media out of my established tanks to get an instant cycle going. It's a golden one, about 7 inches long and is getting on happily and starts to get exited when it knows I'm in the room =P

I just have a quick feeding question too- In winter and spring getting earth worms a few times a week is easy, but in summer and autumn they go really deep and I can't get at them. Does anyone culture compost worms for their axies? Any tips on keeping them? If I can culture them in our worm farm I would be set for summer. Otherwise I will switch to soft pellets and canned shellfish over summer.

Thanks ;)

Mac Myers

Reaction score
Search the Axolotl forums for "earthworms" and you'll find lots of posts from some brilliant people on Worm Farming. Oh... and me too. :p Also look up worm farms on Google. I can't give you any advice on what type are available in your area... but if you can find out we can give you advice.

Frozen or live bloodworms, pellets, earthworms good. Canned shellfish probably not so good. :happy:

AussiePaul

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll have a bit of a dig around on the forums. Dad used to keep a worm farm in the garden but he stopped a few years ago, I have all the boxes still though. I was looking in the hardware store for something else and found boxes of live worms from $30-$60 depending on the size of the box. Probably get some when I'm set to go.

dazkeirle

Reaction score
I just bought 100 off ebay, stuck em in a ice cream tub with some holes in and they happily live in the soil they were packed in. I just add some leaves whenever there is any waste.

tbh they don't eat a lot.

Very clean and easy method of getting food. Also a lot cheaper than bloodyworms

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!