Question: Planaria origins & elimination

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
I am very upset because one of my tanks has loads of planaria again. As I'm planning to move the newts into a different tank I'd like to use the opportunity to get rid of the worms.

I have no idea where they come from. I had them before and got rid of them with Panacur (Fenbendazole). This was before the newts moved into the tank. All decorations were boiled and all plants that went into the tank were soaked in a strong Panacur solution overnight. I'm thinking I would do the same for the new tank before putting the newts in...but is there a better solution? Or is it just a waste of time because they will turn up again?

I keep the tank very clean and there is no left over food. I have been hand feeding pieces of earthworms and there is no substrate in the tank except in dishes with plants but I rinse them regularly.

Thanks for you help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back