Question: Axolotl Sex? :P

MunchBunny

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Can you please sex my axolotl? I've recently moved my axolotl into a bigger tank (from 60L to 170L) and I'm thinking of getting another axo but I would like to get the opposite sex.

P05-08-10_13-57.jpg

P05-08-10_13-561.jpg

Thanks for your help!

(PS excuse the pictures as they don't do my axolotl justice :( it's been taken with a phone)

MunchBunny

There could be a bit of a male bulge there. More pics would help.

Mel

Hey everyone, i hope these pictures are a little better. What do you think? :)

100806_182941.jpg

100806_183012.jpg

Munchkin is about 8 - 9 inches. :)

I am not sure..my juvenile males had a distinct bulge very early on ( at about 6 inches). I suspect female, but axolotl do have a habit of surprising us!

Seems Munchkin is a bit of a mystery :p But i will go with female for now as that's what most have said. :)

Its a confusing one, its got a slight bulge which could get bigger.
My wild looks the same and I am slightly unsure what she is. She has the body type of a female but her bits are inbetween what my male and my female look like!?!
I'm waiting to see if she'll breed then i'll know for sure lol!

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back