Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Suggestions for a new pet?

Kaitlyn

Reaction score
My girl friend and I are looking for an easy, beginner amphibian that can happily live in a dorm room. That means something that can live in a 10 gallon aquarium (either fully or partially aquatic) and eat easy-to-raise live foods that won't stink up the room/get out and be a health hazard. Also, less costly upkeep and initial costs would be good. :) I've been searching the web, but as I cruise the boards, I see there are a lot more options out there than what I can find via google searches! I have seen how informative you all here, and I thought you might have some suggestions. :)

Thanks! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

caudatadude28

Reaction score
If you want easy upkeep, you should get a small newt species and only have a couple in the tank, especially a ten gallon. Cynops cyanurus(Blue tailed firebelly newts), Cynops orientalis(Chinese firebelly newts), Cynops p.(Japanese firbelly newts), notos(eastern newts, captive bred eastern newts are hard to find and wild caught ones present many problems), alpine newts would be great small species. One or two crested newts or a single ribbed newt would be good choices too, but are much larger. What temperatures can you provide?

Kaitlyn

Reaction score
Just to note, fully aquatic would be better, now that I think about it. As for temperatures, we can probably manage 60 degrees Fahrenheit and higher. Does that help? :D Also, thanks for that information! I'm looking at the species you've provided right now.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You need to think of both minimum and max temperatures - what would be the hottest that it could get? I think the best bet is Cynops cyanurus. Fully aquatic (needs a small island only) and available captive-bred. A single ribbed newt (Pleurodeles waltl) or axolotl would also be a good option and would be fine in a 10gallon. An axolotl will eventually outgrow a tank that size, but would be OK for a couple of years. CB ribbed newts and axolotls are now being sold commercially by many of the reptile mail order places.

scariefaerie666

Reaction score
I agree that an alpine newt would be excellent :) They're really hardy, a good beginner newt, and they are generally much happier being mostly aquatic, some floating plants or a turtle island should suffice for land. They're pretty easy to care for, as long as you can keep them cool. I love my alpine newt so much! He's really interesting and so attractive. Alpine newts are the way forward my friend.
xxx

Kaitlyn

Reaction score
Hmm, sounds good! :) I like the idea of the Alpine Newts. I did some reading on them, but they seem like something that would be a little difficult to find in a petshop. In fact, I've never seen any in a pet shop around here. Is there a place I online I could find some that you guys would recommend? Or do you know anyone on here that raises and sells them?

Thanks again for all of your help! You guys are great. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1