Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Good Salamanders/Newts for breeding?

Manion

Reaction score
I've found over the last few years that my springs have been quite boring. I've looked at breeding salamanders and newts, but have never done anything more than look at the results people have had. I have two Ambystoma maculatums(Which I believe are a male and female pair), but from what I've seen they're incredibly difficult to breed. I have the Notophthalmus viridescens in my area(Erie County, Pennsylvania), but I'd have no idea how to feed them when they're so small. Any ideas?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Axolotls, Pleurodeles waltl, and Cynops cyanurus are all candidates for a good and easy breeding species.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you say "I'd have no idea how to feed them when they're so small", which life stage are you referring to? The larvae, or the efts? No matter what sals you breed, you will face the problem of providing small live food.

If you do breed something successfully, what would you do with the offspring? This is a serious problem, actually. It's very much frowned upon (and illegal in most states) to put animals from captivity back into the wild. So then there's the problem of finding other homes for them.

Manion

Reaction score
When you say "I'd have no idea how to feed them when they're so small", which life stage are you referring to? The larvae, or the efts? No matter what sals you breed, you will face the problem of providing small live food.

The larvae mainly. Red efts are fairly small when they emerge from the water, and the only food I can think of is fruit flies.

If you do breed something successfully, what would you do with the offspring? This is a serious problem, actually. It's very much frowned upon (and illegal in most states) to put animals from captivity back into the wild. So then there's the problem of finding other homes for them.

I know well enough not to release captive amphibians into the wild. I could keep 4-6(Red Efts) for myself, and depending on the laws I could ship some to people who want them.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, if you want to breed newts, find a cb species that breeds readily and then you can even trade for more or make a few bucks with the offspring. The species I have had breed for me are, in order,
I. alpestris
T. verrucosus
T. granulosa
C. cyanurus/P. waltl/C. orientalis/P. chinensis (all this year). The easiest for me to breed were the T. verr, believe it or not. I think I'm just lucky with them.

What species have people had breed for them with a minimum of effort?

I think #1 is Axolotl; like tribbles, they seem to be born pregnant (though I have never had one myself).

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Speaking from experience, notos are not a species you will want to breed nor would I recommend them as a beginner breeding project.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I wouldn't breed any native Pa. amphibians. Even if they are ones that are legal for you to keep as soon as you have a handful of larvae you will be over the legal limit.

Manion

Reaction score
I wouldn't breed any native Pa. amphibians. Even if they are ones that are legal for you to keep as soon as you have a handful of larvae you will be over the legal limit.

I see. I will have to check the laws in my county, and if need be I can call the District Attorney, as I have some relations with him.

Speaking from experience, notos are not a species you will want to breed nor would I recommend them as a beginner breeding project.

Ok, so those are out of the question. I have taken care of a Taricha granulosa before, so I think I'll look into that.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score

Not sure you can breed native PA herps with just 1 animal, since that is the legal limit. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1