Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange stomach problem

nursemelody

Reaction score
I have three notophthalmus viridescens. I believe 2 boys and 1 girl. They have just entered the aquatic stage and only ocassionally come out of the water. My girl appears to be a little bloated in the lower abdomen, but what really confuses and troubles me is that on her stomach, you can see on the lower left side of her abdomen a black spot. It appears to be inside, almost as if her skin is clear, and that is a kidney or some other organ showing through.... She is acting normal, eating, swimming, wriggling when I pick her up to look.... but I can not seem to find ANYTHING similar on any message threads, or anywhere on the web.. I will take pictures this weekend, but any ideas off the top of heads?

deliriah

Reaction score
Pictures would be a big help. I've kept notos most my life, and I currently have 10. But it doesn't sound like anything I've seen, based on your description. Females are usually "chubbier" than males, so unless she seems bloated toward the neck and head, she sounds pretty okay in that department. As for the black spot, they do exhibit a range of dark spots on their abdomens, so it could be her normal pattern, but I've never seen any that looked like they were "inside" like you describe. What do you feed them? Mine tend to look slightly lumpier on on side more so than the other after they've eaten larger foods. But I've never seen it look black or darker than the normal pigmentation of the newt. I would guess it's her normal pattern, but please do post pictures of it and we can get a clearer idea of what it could be.

nursemelody

Reaction score
Yeah, it is very strange and looks a little like coffee grounds or something....I will take a picture this weekend....I feed fruit flies, zoo med newt food, repto treat bloodworm, cricket, and meal worm....

nursemelody

Reaction score
Now I am thinking this is one of my boys......Pictures aren't great, and neither is my camera... please let me know what you think...
102_0166.JPG

Attachments

• 102_0158.jpg
    102_0158.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 985
  • 102_0166.jpg
    102_0166.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,276

deliriah

Reaction score
That is strange, I've never seen that before. It does like like its just under the skin though. Has it stayed the same size? Or does it appear to be growing or shrinking? At the moment the first thing that comes to mind is something like a blood blister, but that's just a thought, I can't even call it a good guess. I'm hoping someone else on here has seen something similar and can jump in to help out. :confused: I'll try do do some research myself and get back to you if I find anything.

deliriah

Reaction score
A few more questions. What type of substrate do you use? I'm not so sure an impactation would be so visible, but maybe your little guy swallowed something it shouldn't have? This is frequently a problem with axolotls, and other caudates as well I'm sure, but I've never heard of or seen a noto swallow rocks. Needless to say it's a possibility.
Also, just to be sure, you said he/she is behaving normally? Not acting sickly? And eating regularly? If everything else seems to be normal I suggest keeping a close eye on your newt for changes in size/shape of the spot, and any difference in it's behavior. Please keep us posted on any changes good or bad.

nursemelody

Reaction score
Okay, I have 40 gallon terrarium with water in the bottom. I have regular aquarium rocks at the bottom... which do seem too big to swallow... On the land, which they occasionally will wonder onto, I have eco earth... could he have swallowed that maybe???

Seems normal... just gave some fruit flies and seemed just as interested as usual... I have some decorative rocks in the bottom.... Maybe he got wedged and bruised himself under one or on a corner???

It does seem to be getting smaller, but it is just so strange.... I feel bad to keep molesting him to check on it, but I want to make sure it's not getting worse!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1