Fire Belly Newt in a Fluval Edge, will it work?

murph909

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,
So I have a Fluval Edge (6 gallon) tank currently empty and am considering putting a Fire Belly Newt in it. I have read/researched a ton of information on keeping them, as I always do. I have read a lot of sites that say for housing it should be 2-3 in a 10 gallon and more = more gallons obviously. I have found very FEW sites/care sheets that discuss the minimum required amount for just one newt. But I have however found numerous sites where somebody has a 5 gallon (sometimes even plastic) tank set up for their Fire Belly newt.

The Fluval Edge is a 6 gallon tank, but, while keeping a decent height, isnt as tall as some tanks. This allows it to have a good amount of surface on the bottom (a good length and width to it).

Im curious what your oppinions are on keeping a Fire Belly Newt in a Fluval Edge and also, if it is considered good to keep them singularly or if they need to be in pairs/groups or if it doesnt matter, etc...

Any other information provided is also appreciated.

Thanks
smile1.gif

If you arent familiar with the edge, just google Fluval Edge and check images.

Hi, I've seen these tanks and I think you might have a couple of problems. I'm not 100% certain how this tank works but my impression is that it has a glass cover and in-built filtration and heating (correct me if I'm wrong).
All these things could be a problem for the newt. They like it cool so no heating and a mesh lid are best (this also prevents escapes) and the newt won't be happy if there is a strong current in the tank. No water movement is best for this kind of newt.

I also think the tank is not really big enough, maybe just for one newt. While newts don't really need company, it is much nicer from a person's perspective to have more than just one (that's just my opinion...)

If you are after some interesting inhabitants for a small tank...have you looked into shrimp keeping?

For newts, you might be better off getting a larger tank without paying extra for heating and filter which you won't use. It must be very well sealed with good ventilation so you either have to adjust a lid that comes with the tank or make one yourself. The Edge is a very nice tank but probably not the most practical for newt keeping.

Look at the articles http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles.shtml...all your questions should be answered in them.

Here's the care sheet: http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml

I found a good video that shows exactly how the tank works:
YouTube - ‪Fluval Edge Aquarium 2 months after set-up‬‎

This is a really nifty concept for a fish tank, but it will not work for newts. The newts need to come to the surface to breathe, and there is very little surface space. Even if you lower the water level from where it's designed to be, there will still be not enough space for an island for your newts (and the filter may not work properly with the water lower). In my opinion, it's a no go.

Thanks for the replies, I would love to address your issues with what I believe would be solutions.
I would not be using the included filter, it would not successfully work for the tank if the water level was lowered, but I have no problem purchasing a separate filter for inside the tank with low current. There is no heating included, and I will take a temperature check to see what the water currently in the tank is at (should just be room temp) and depending on the temperature, go from there. As for the smaller hole area, I would be lowering the water level to about 2/3 of the tank, so there would be a large amount of space for an island to built. I am under the impression from the second reply that it was assumed I would be keeping the tank full of water up to the very top, where the small opening is. I was not going to do so, even though I would lose the effect of the glass top that the edge has it would not work for this.

Below is an attempt at a drawing of what the tank would look like and where the water level would be. I would be able to successfully build a good size island using this set up.

After reading a lot of forum posts from numerous forums, I am quite happy to just keep one Newt, as it avoids a common issue I found online regarding violence after maturity and during feeding. I also would be able to give the one newt the needed attention.

I am so into this idea simply because I cannot purchase another/larger tank at this time, and I already have the Fluval Edge.

The water line is represented by the wavy lines. You can see where the opening for the tank is, at the very top.

............Opening
..................\/
|---------------|......... |---------------|
|..........................................|
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| <-----Water Level
|________________________|

Please post any comments/suggestions and thoughts on this project.

Thanks

Last edited:
It could work as shown in your diagram. Whatever filter you use will need a tubing or cord going to it. Be careful that this doesn't provide an escape route (they can climb cords and vertical glass). I'd recommend a bubble-driven filter as opposed to an electrically-driven filter, both because of less heat produced and because this tank will need a source of aeration.

Even the smallest canister filters (that's what Jen means by electrically driven, e.g. Fluval Mini) create a very strong current especially in a small tank so try to avoid them.

Also...if you've decided to buy a newt please try to find a captive bred one (you can try through this forum). Pet shops usually sell wild caught ones and they are often ill.

I wouldn´t recommend anything smaller than 10 gallons for even a single newt. It´s just not practical nor advisable.
There are people out there who do indeed keep them in small tanks...but this is in my opinion, negligent care (which is extremely widespread for this poor species).

If you want to provide a good home, thermal stability, enough space, good water quality, etc, you shouldn´t provide less than 10 gallons.

I would also like to comment (feel free to ignore me) that all the animals of this species available at pet-shops, and other suppliers, are wild-caught and generally in bad condition. Those who survive the terrible importation, are very stressed, often ill or dying. Many die shortly after being purchased.
You´d be MUCH better off starting with a nice captive-bred species, available from breeders in your country (you can find several in this very forum).

I have an Edge that I keep shrimp in. The included lighting IS a heater.
The Edge is impracticable for anything but a few display fish or shrimp.

I will be checking the temperature with lights on and the water level at the point I will be putting it at for the Newt, before purchasing it, and then go from there. It will be a while and a lot of thought/research before I take any drastic steps with this issue, I am not going to jump in to it and miss any important details. Replacing the included lighting, if required, is a very simple step. I have read about it many times from people who use the Edge for a nano reef tank (an idea I had also considered but have decided against).

I will be looking around for some captive bread Newts, after checking on this forum the only person who has them available in my area has been offline for over a month unfortunately. I will still attempt to make contact, will continue to search, and will put ads up on local classified websites if required. While visiting my local pet store earlier this week I noticed a dead adult fire belly newt in the tank next to the babies. It was possible this was brought in by a customer or something, but it did stress for me the condition of the pets there.

I will also be researching in the future which filters people find best for small newt tanks, and ensure there is a low flow low suction set up. I will be making some sort of cover for the tank that will ensure any air tubes can get in but newts cant get out.

This is still a thought-in-progress and I am not positive I will be doing it, but am putting the time and research in to ensure I make the best decision possible.

Any other concerns, thoughts, opinions on if this will work are greatly appreciated, things like this make me think about every step and detail to ensure I dont overlook anything.

I have actually just been looking through other forums where people were doing mods on their edge lighting and found out that with a simple search on ebay for MR11 LED I can get led bulbs that will fit right in the current bulb slots, and LED lighting will not create heat like the current bulbs do.

Yeah, but you will still have a small volume of water and too little space...

From what I can tell the fluval edge doesn't appear to be practical for anything. Just nice to look at. With the small opening how does one go about removing a fiesty fishy with a net if need be? If I need to get into my tanks for any reason I wouldn't want such limited entry. Just an observation.

That is a good observation, and was actually brought up to me on a different forum as well, but as somebody who has owned the Edge for quite some time there is no doubt I can easily remove anything if necessary. The hole is big enough for everything I would need to do, I can easily access any part of the tank with a net or my hands if I am ever required to do so for cleaning or an emergency. I never had any problems removing fish. Sometimes it just means twisting the net so it is on an angle that allows it to get into the very corners.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the rest. It is very impractical. How do you gravel vac? Within a few weeks your glass would be caked with algae and you wouldn't even see anything anyway.

Can you even utilize a different filter and maintain the aesthetics the design was intended for? It looks like its a dead fit for those IMO,.. junk Aquaclears.

Either way, it sounds like your dead set on doing it regardless of how many people say not to so its on you. I mean, you did ask for a opinion but it seems like yo have a rebuttal for each one given.;)

No offence to anyone who likes this tank, but they're just glorified ornaments. sure are nice to look at, but serve no practical purpose what so ever. IMO

But if you feel you can use it no problem, no-one can stop you, however myself and quite alot of people on here, obviously advice against it.

If you can set up an appropriate housing for newts in it, then I don't see why not, but I can't see myself being able to set up a decent housing in one of those.

In no way am I trying to disregard concerns regarding this idea, I am just simply giving my solutions for potential issues that people have. I am quite happy with the feed back on the idea because it makes me think more and more on whether I should or not, and what issues I would face if I did. It just allows me to make a more educated decision. The reason I seem to have a response for most issues with the design of the tank (the exception being the size of it), is because I currently use the tank and have done research on it for a nano reef as well (something done by many different people despite the required modifications) so I know what the tank is like, how it is to use and maintain it, and what can be done to modify the design. I still ask questions and like these responses because it makes me think of everything necessary and if it is worth it and practical enough to bother. As stated before, no decision has been made at all regarding this project, just trying to get as much info as possible first, and see if there is any problems that arent easily solved or not.

You can easily take the aquaclear filter out, and put a small air powered filter in the tank, it would look no different having a small air filter in this tank than it would in any other, just the filter wont be "hidden" like the aquaclear one is. I currently gravel vac and perform maintenance on a regular basis with no problem.

I think all the debate whether the tank is practical or not is a bit irrelevant.. you have it already. You have done a lot of research into how it could be modified. I think your main issue is the size which you can't change.
If you really want a newt, would you consider a plastic tub as a temporary solution and get a bigger tank when you can?

I was also thinking you could put African dwarf frogs into the tank - they are tiny compared to the newt and from what I've read you could fit 2 into it no problem (maybe 3). They like higher temperatures so you could probably use the tank as it is. I've never kept these, it just seems from what I've read that they might be suitable.

Last edited:
So I guess I kind of want to change the concentration of this topic slightly. I can definitely make the tank work, but the biggest issue, do you think it is large enough for one newt? I have had a couple say yes and a few say no on here, and another forum has quite a few saying yes and a couple saying no so I am torn on that issue.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back