Meet Mrs Stimpy

lorraine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok not a very original name as my other Axy is called Stimpy, but I couldnt think of a name for the new addition, we think she is a female so decided on Mrs Stimpy. I got her yesterday and I have a settling in question if anyone can help me please.

The two Axy's seem to be getting on just fine and Stimpy appears pleased to have a tank mate as he seems to follow her round after the initial surprise of having her in the tank.

The worry I have is that she still has not accepted food, She was only on blood worm at the shop but has not taken any of that and refused any worms I have offered, Stimpy settled in straight away when I got him. Mrs Stimpy was only in a bare tank when I saw her and was not looking for a new one just yet, but she was on her own with no sand or gravel, no plants and no hide holes at all, my tank has a couple algae eaters a couple of hides rocks and plants as well as Stimpy so I'm wondering if its possible that she is a little overwhelmed and stressed, she is also extremly active I have hardley seen her stay still for more than a couple minutes at a time, where as Stimpy even though bright and happy doesnt swim around loads and goes in his hide several times a day. I have attached a pic of the two.
40590_450351048637_661138637_6113340_811907_n.jpg

And this is Mrs Stimpy

40255_450054738637_661138637_6103450_3367208_n.jpg

Last edited:
I would recommend getting rid of that gravel.

She is probably settling in give her a few days

I guessed it may be give her time to settle in, its nice to watch her being so active was just concerned she may have been stressed.

Get rid of gravel otherwise you may find neither will want to eat, possibly followed by much worse things.

Chances are they have already started eating it, acting fast will avoid further issues.

Sand or bare bottom are favored here, slate and other tiles are also options.

You should have quarantined the new addition for 30 days. There is a risk she could have a disease that she could then pass on to Stimpy.

I agree she's probably just settling in.

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back