Fridging axie still not eating and floating at the top

Tan160581

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Tania
I have been fridging my axie as he was not eating for about 11 days and was floating at the top, sand in tank and perimeters fine, and other axies he shares with in tank are fine, but one did die last week

However his in the fridge and floating at the top, why is this, help please and still not eating

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it might be time to see a vet.

Can I just say that I have my fridge on the lowest setting but his water is ice cold, do you reckon that could be why, my fridge is a very cold one, maybe I should take him out and out him back in his tank??? as his other tank mates were not bullying him .

While he is in the fridge he will not eat because it is too cold.
Why did you put him in the fridge anyway was it because he was not eating?
Do you know why the other one died?

Hang in there...someone with more experience should jump in soon.

I put him in the fridge as he has not eaten for about 9 days. I think it was yesterday he started to float to the top. So I thought fridging was the way to go as that is what I have seen other people suggest. I have tried him with worms, blood worm and prawns and nothing,

The other one died as well with similar symptoms, but my other 3 are fine. Water is fine and I always do a 20 percent water change every week. All I can think is something may of happened when I was on holidays. I paid a lady to come in and feed them when I went away for 11 days, I do not know.

I am sorry Tania. I do not know what else to say. I just do not have the experience or knowledge yet. Hang in there though. What about water temp???

No that is okay. I am still learning myslf as well :)

The temp is 65 to 70 is that okay ?

Firstly, may I ask that you look at this link regarding the section titledStandard English Usage .

:- Caudata.org - Terms of Service (Rules)

Regarding your floating axolotl, while he is in the fridge he is less likely to eat. The colder water will tend to slow his metabolism down. You mention the water is very cold, have you checked the actual temperature of the water? This article explains the process :-
Axolotl Sanctuary
From what I have read in this post, I am not really sure putting the axolotl in the fridge is really needed.

What are the actual results for your water tests, especially the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate ? Also what size is their tank and what else do you have in it, do you use a filter?

why do i need to read the rules i dont see what i have done wrong, i havent been rude to anyone

and my permitors are all 0.7 or something like that, am at work so cant check but nothing was over 7 put it that way, no gravel sand, lots of hideaway places and water in the tank is 68 and othr 3 axies are fine 250 litre tank upgraded and i have a filter and some air bubbles as well

I directed you to look at the rules as you tend not to use capital letters, you certainly have not been rude to any one. This is the section was referring to :-
Standard English Usage
We require that English speakers not write in nonsense words (such as those used in text messages). Please refrain from the use of words like "gonna," and please use good grammar and punctuation. Remember that new subjects and sentences warrant the use of a capital letter. Proper punctuation will make your message much easier to understand, and thus improve the discussion. Banning won't occur for such offences, but we actively encourage moderators and users to lower the reputation of users who insist on speaking drivel. Non-native English speakers will not be penalized for grammatical errors.

Okay i have read about the grammer, sorry, but i was at work and in a rush as not really suppose to be on here, when i should be working :(

So your advice would be to take him out of the fridge, i have to say his gills are back and his in the middle of the water floating, obv not eating then as his in the fridge, i only put in the fridge as when my last axie was ill that i was what i was advised and i did not rush and put him in there i have waited 9 days and saw this as the last result and i did read that before putting him in there

I think we need to see pictures of the animals and the set up. We also need all of the water Parameters as well as an accurate Temperature. :happy:
You have a problem. It may not have affected your other animals yet... but it may very well kill them all over time. :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back