Fungus help please =(

MunchBunny

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My newest axie Spickle has been in his nursery tank for a little while now and his tail has completely recovered but his leg (which was completely gone right upto the body) seems to have a small amount of fungus on. What should i do?

I cant really tell as its so small and so is he but it certainly looks like it, He also has a few white spots on his head (he is wild i believe) can axie's get white spot or is this just pigmentation?

Temp is 19 / Amm 0 / Nitrate 0 / Nitrite 0 / PH 7.6

Hi...If it is fungus I think you should give him salt baths..If you don't have a spare small tank use a plastic food container that will give him room to move around. You need 1 or 2 litre jug and fill with de-chlorinated water, the same temperature as in his tank; pour into the plastic container. I think two litres will be enough, or enough just to cover him. Then add 2 teaspoons of aquarium salt (from Pet shop) for each litre. Let it dissolve and then put him in. Leave him in there for 10 minutes. After, take him out and return to his own tank. If you have a lid for the plastic container you can keep this salt bath safely and use again. I would repeat this morning and evening for a couple of days. I hope this helps.. Best wishes Jean

Last edited:
If it is small enough you can just wipe the fungus off with a cotton swab, just be sure to use a rolling motion. However, if that doesn't work then you'll need to do salt baths. The salt bath procedure is explained here if you need it.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, I have identified that it is definately fungus and as such am heading out now to purchase some aquarium salts and also some Methylene blue which will be used ONLY if the salt baths dont shift it and in VERY LOW doses.

Other than the fungus his leg is growing back nicely, The water is slowly cooling down thanks to my cooling methods and is now at 18, i plan to drop it down to 15 as the axo lives alone.

Thanks
Martin

I do not think that Methylene blue is safe for salamanders. I know that it is used to treat ich and sometimes fungal infections in fish, but amphibians have very different reactions to it, so I would not use that for Spickle. Be patient and keep trying the salt baths to see how he does. Axolotls are known for their amazing powers of regeneration.

How has his appetite been?

His appetite seems to be fine.

The methylene blue is listed as safe to use on axolotl.org as long as its small doses, i find meth blue works quite well on most ailments.

The aquarium in question has some problems with planaria atm also so a very small dose of that will get rid of any fungus spores in the water and planaria as the box clearly states its an effective way to remove fungus and planaria aswell as protozoan parasites.

I will not be dosing the aquarium today, i will try salt baths for 3 days morning and evening first.

The meth blue is an emergency method only

Maybe I'm thinking of malachite green, then. Sorry for that.

If you do dose the tank, make sure to remove any carbon that you've got in the filter. (It will de-medicate your tank pretty quickly). I don't remember if the bottles have that tidbit in the instructions these days, so I thought I'd mention it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back