Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick axie update.

MunchBunny

Reaction score
As some of you know me and my partner visited a petshop and found a baby axie (2inches long) with a really bad missing limb and a seriously cute face, his tail was pretty bad too.

He was missing his hind leg on the right hand side right upto his body with a little piece of bone showing.

Today he had fungus and it looks nasty, it completely covers the healing stump.

After reading online alot i went to the aquarium store and bought aquarium salts. and Methylene Blue.

But before treating the axolotl at all i contacted a vet who deals with axo's (no where near by) she was more than happy to give me some advice on the phone completely free of charge. This is the information i was given

First im to lower the temperature to a maximum of 18 instead of 20. Fungus struggles in lower temps she told me. She wants him to have a 10 minute salt bath in 1 litre of water with 2 tea spoons of aquarium salt twice a day.

Im to reduce the amount of food given to help reduce wastage.

My methylene blue solution = 1ml/19mg of methylene blue. She asked me to treat the 60 Litre aquarium with 2 ml of Meth to help kill off the fungus. She added this dose is very low (still enough to make the water annoyingly blue) and will in no way harm the axo, she said she has used this many times before to treat ick and fungus, She says axo's can handle upto 2mg per litre in extreme cases of ick and fungus (meaning my aquarium can take 120MG and i only administered 40MG) the dosage on the boxe for fish is for 5mg per litre so the axo dose is alot lower.

I'm to do a 10% water change every day for a week and the "blue" will slowly vanish though she has suggested to keep fungus at bay while he has a vulnerable spot treating the water with 1 ml of Meth (19mg) once a week is not a bad idea till he is fully recovered.

Since he is eating well she doesnt think i should worry but although my water params are good she is worried that the ammonia cycle is not taking place fully as the axo is only 2 inches long in a 60L aquarium.

Previously in this aquarium we had Munchkin the axolotl(who went into the aquarium at 4 inches and stayed till he was 8 inches) 4 African dwarf frogs and 2 apple snails. We lost 1 apple snail a while back but all else was well. She told me that this is enough to produce a sufficient ammonia cycle.

But now that he is on his own she believed that the ammonia generated isnt enough to support a healthy colony of "good bacteria" and has suggested looking into getting some surface dwelling fish. She has suggested either white cloud minnows or zebra danios as they are small surface dwellers and quite hardy,Both of which i have kept before and personally i think the danio is more of a surface fish than the minnow.

I will be getting 2 less than 1 inch danios asap to help the ammonia cycle tick over nicely. as my tank is quite tall i dont see this as an issue.

Does anyone disagree with the advice on the meth?

I know the salt bath is something you will all agree on so im not worried about that.

And as for his tankmates to come i am also not worries as i have had munchkin in with tankmates and he is fine, granted im sure we will lose a frog or 2 when he learns to catch them lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1