Question: Healthy foods for axolotls???

nat86

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The 2 axolotls that i have eat mainly frozen bloodworms and earthworms.
well my gold one doesnt like the live food as much he seems to like the food he doesnt have to kill mostly:p.
I've tried hand feeding them feeder fish but everytime i've tried that the feeder fish have been sick normally with white spots so i stopped.
is bloodworms and earthworms a healthy diet to keep them on or is there other foods i should be trying to keep them healthy???

I feed mine bloodworms sometimes, but mostly superworms. I think they are also referred to as waxworms. They will eat them whole usually, however I have noticed that if I cut the worms in half it really gets their attention. They get a better "smell" of the worm and snatch it up.

Superworms are not related at all to waxworms, they are very different invertebrates.
Superworms are not a good food for axolotls, they are too queratinous and hard to digest and not very nutritious.

Some good food items for axolotls are, quality pellets, isopods, fresh water shrimp, slugs, crickets, blackworms/tubifex, waxworms, and, yes, very ocassionally small fresh water feeder fish (quarantine first).
Earthworms should be the staple, though, the rest are options for a varied diet.

Where is everyone getting earthworms from?? nowhere around me seems to sell them even fishing shops. is there a way to breed wild worms until they are safe enough for the axy to eat??

Superworms are not related at all to waxworms, they are very different invertebrates.
Superworms are not a good food for axolotls, they are too queratinous and hard to digest and not very nutritious.

Some good food items for axolotls are, quality pellets, isopods, fresh water shrimp, slugs, crickets, blackworms/tubifex, waxworms, and, yes, very ocassionally small fresh water feeder fish (quarantine first).
Earthworms should be the staple, though, the rest are options for a varied diet.

:eek: Good to know. I didn't know that superworms weren't very good for my axies. I will have to start feeding them earthworms mainly.

If your in the UK worms direct is amazing. I get my earthworms from there.

Thanks so much for the list now i can vary their diet a bit more.
My partner decided to feed them a gold fish today they both ate half each and seemed to love it!!!
I'm hoping its good for them because he seems quite keen to feed them more goldfish :)

:S Goldfish are not a good option at all, specially not if you don´t even quarantine them first!!!!!
Of all feeder fish, goldfish are probably the worst choice.

Thanks for the tip i told him never to give them another gold fish!!! :) they seem to be loving their earthworms at the moment. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back