Can i add a common frog with my FB newts?

tamz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
i have been looking after a common frog (Rana temporaria) for a few days now, My cat bought it in and i let it free that night but she bought it back again two days later, This time with an injured leg. It is ok and it will heal but i cant release it to a pond until then.

I need to know if i am able to put it in my large 4ft, 1/3 land, 2/3 water deep tank that is currently housing 7 FB newts and guppies. I am being told yes by some people but i really want to make sure the frog isn't going to eat my smallest newt i have in there.
I know alot of people are against communal setups and for good reasons too but my setup has worked very well without major problems and im happy with how it has worked out so please dont judge the frog being added for them kind of reasons. I purley need to know if my newts will come to any harm.

There are alot of tanks set up on youtube with frogs, fish, newts and many more animals in the same tank and it has gone fine for them but i havn't really seen a Rana temporaria in a mixed tank.

many thanks in advanced for your help :O)

Tamz x

My personal opinion is no, too.
Rana temporaria is an oportunistic predator, it will try to eat a newt if it has the chance.
Also, since the frog comes from the wild you risk introducing patogens to your tank and your newts, from bacteria to prasites, definitely not a good thing.

The choice is yours, but i hope you realize it involves risks, and there´s no safer option than avoiding those risks entirely. You may well regret it if you ignore them...

Ok thanks very much for your reply, thats good enough for me. I dont want to risk it eating my newts as i love them to bits!
I was hoping this frog wouldn't even think of it to be honest. He could have a good time in my tank, Im feeling a bit sorry for the frog at the moment because its in a small spare tank.
I will go and get the 3ft one i saw at our local scavenging centre today and it can go back down there just as easy once im finished with it.

Am i able to get any help for this frog on here?
If so please could you help me,
Please do any of you know the setup needed for a Rana temporaria?
Is it half and half or dry with water dish etc?
I already have plenty of the soil i use for my newts and i can get some more moss and plants if needed too.
What exactly should i be feeding it on? The aquarium i phoned said it is able to eat the frozen bloodworm i have here but it hasn't seemed interested in it. Could i try frozen mealworm?

Some pictures of a setup would really help too, if possible :O)

Many thanks everyone :O)

Tamz

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back