Shipping Eggs in Hot Weather

shoegal

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mariah
What is the recommended method for shipping eggs when the outside temperature is over 90 degrees? Ice packs? Overnight shipping?

I would love some advice from someone who has experience in this area.

Depends on how much $ you or the recipient are willing to pay. To be really sure they survive, you need overnight shipping with an insulated container and cold pack. There's a decent chance they would be OK with just Priority mail (and no point in a cold pack, it wouldn't last for the whole trip anyway), provided that the box doesn't sit in a hot place on the delivery end.

Shoegal, have Sloppy Joe and Peanut been misbehaving again?!? :p

I've had eggs shipped to me on 3 different occasions in temps above 90 (all 3 used ice packs, insulated boxes, and overnight shipping) and not a single egg survived.

Justin~ What kind of shipping was used? Overnight? 2nd Day Air? Priority?

Shannon~ Yes. Sloppy Joe laid eggs last night (even though it's in the 90's here). I didn't think axies liked to breed during the warmer months...

lol - I think somebody forgot to tell them that! Maybe the move from Texas confused the seasons a little for them. ;P

I don't know that I'd feel comfortable with shipping eggs in temps of 90 or above, personally. Maybe you could use the ice packs with overnight shipping, but have them delivered to a local hub, rather than risk them sitting outside someone's door or something. Fed Ex - next morning, maybe? Just know (in case you didn't) that Fed Ex doesn't guarantee morning delivery to certain rural areas (like mine for example) so it may be better to have the package held at a nearby hub for pick up.

A hub is a local sorting facility where they will hold packages for the receiver. I had a uromastyx shipped this way as there was no way to predict exactly what time she would get delivered to my house. I didn't want her bouncing around in a truck all day so the breeder found a local sort facility (hour away from me) to have her held at. I just thought this might be an option for one of your prospective receivers as well...I went to the hub, identified myself, and gave them the tracking number - signed for her, and we were all good.

Mariah,
The second batch of eggs you sent me in May was totally destroyed by heat by the time it arrived. It wasn't delayed in shipment or anything like that. They arrived right on schedule and we didn't allow the box to sit outside any time at all. I do think that packing the eggs in a sealed Styrofoam box with a cold pack and shipped overnight would be successful. I wouldn't ship any other way. The way mail carriers handle the mail from the facility to the house is where the problems seem to occur. (I'm not cracking on the mail carriers, it's nothing they can control.)

BTW - I'm raising a dozen juveniles from the first batch of eggs you sent me and they're looking very nice (nearly 3 inches long now).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back