Photo: What sex is our axolots

axelgirl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello noob here i just got our little guys 3 weeks ago and the owner of the pet store said they are still young but didn't say how old. well i have looked up info about how to tell the sex but i still can not tell can anyone give me a clue:confused: i want to give them proper names and hope they are male and female but i will still love them even if they are the same sex:p thank you for your time

Attachments

• Photo0115.jpg
    Photo0115.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 8,485
  • Photo0112.jpg
    Photo0112.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 5,209
  • Photo0111.jpg
    Photo0111.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,174
How big are they? They still look a little young to me and both look a bit underweight too. Axolotls are difficult to sex until a year old or more. You can suspect one way or the other before then but I think these still need to grow a bit and get some weight put on. I would lean towards the golden being female and the melanoid (??) being male. As far as names, some opt for more unisex names to avoid the proper name issue. ;)

Get them on a diet of some earthworms and they should plump up in no time. On a side note, I'd really re-consider those stones. There are just too many cases of axolotls accidentally ingesting large stones and some of those look like they are smaller than your pets' heads. In addition, you may find (as most do) that the stones are nearly impossible to keep clean. Lots of gunk seeps down in between rocks and later wreak havoc on your water chemistry. I personally prefer sand but there are other alternatives. I wish you well with your new additions and if you have any other questions, etc., don't hesitate to ask!

I completely agree with dragon lady on this one.
it is still hard to tell, give it time and the answer may become more clear.

brad:cool:

ps
enjoy your new additions:happy:

Thank you so much for your time i have just taken the pebbles out now and the bottom is bare for now do you think sand is better and is it hard to clean:confused:
i have been feeding them brine shrimp and axolotl pellets but they looked under weight when i got them.
Their size gold axolotl is 17cm and the Black one is 21cm i to thought the gold one is a girl but not 100%:happy:

thanks brad i guess time shall tell i love these little guys and i want the best for them:p

Sand is super easy to clean, just run the siphon you'd use to remove water across the surface without the grill on.

I've found black sand actually makes waste really stand out, impossible to have a dirty tank without knowing it.

Regular coloured sand is also very easy to clean, you just gotta look a bit harder to see the waster.

As the waste won't go under the surface much with sand it really is very simple. If you have a low power filter it should stay together too.

Get a turkey baster for larger pieces.

See the link in my sig for a post that an axie had swollen two massive stones, it's amazing what they'll eat.

thank daz i will be getting some aquarium sand tomorrow that pic of the axolotl with the stones in it tummy has put me off stones and gravel all together thanks mate for the help :cool:

No problem ;)

If you're getting regular fine sand you will also get the added effect of seeing all the little 4/5 toed footprints everywhere your axie walks. It really adds something.

Sand can also provide a bit of entertainment for your axie too, mine always used to enjoy digging up sand in the corners and around the edges of the tank, mainly for fun I think.

1 bag of sand (20lb usually) is usually enough for a 40 - 100 litre aquarium, 100 - 200 and you'll need about 1.5 bags to get the coverage. On 160l ( 3" x 1.3") I have 1.5 bags (30lb) and that's just over an inch in depth.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back