Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New from South Africa

feathers

Reaction score
Hi there to all, was very excited when my friend referred me to this forum. Living in South Africa we unfortunately can’t keep Axolotl's but it has always been something I wanted to learn more about.

To give a bit more info on my interest;

At present I have I have:
Six Bearded Dragons,
One chameleon
Three cats
One Boerboel pup
8 tropical fish tanks, varying in size from 5l to 400l
6 marine fish tanks, varying in size from 50l to 5000l
And a tortoise that we rescued.

So as you all can see there is never to many animals just need to set up a new home for them every now and then :D Looking forward to learning and sharing on the site.

Neek

Reaction score
WOW! a Chameleon?! that's wicked! and a Boerboel! that's gona be one big doggy :D sounds like you have an amazing household of pets. i'm new to the world of axolotls too, they're fascinating creatures. i have about 50 larvae that are growing so fast! it's like a full time job caring for them because they need a fresh supply of live food constantly which means keeping up with water changes to keep everything clean.
this forum is awesome and the people are lovely and only too willing to help! so i'm sure any questions you have will be answered with enthusiasm!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1