Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gills Flapping After A Water Change

Brasco

Reaction score
I'm posting a video of what Tuco does every time I do a weekly 20% water change. I'm not sure what he's doing but usually he frolicks pretty happily around his tank, and it seems like he's really not enjoying himself when he does it. Is this sort of behaviour normal?

YouTube - Tuco After A Water Change

daniellog

Reaction score
Are you using dechlorinator or any other aquariums aids? Whats the temperature of the tank?

Brasco

Reaction score
Yeah I use a bit of pH Down (water here is quite alkaline) and some dechlorinator, but I try to let the replacement water stand for 3-4 days before I use it. The water sits at room temperature, as does his tank.

dragonlady

Reaction score
What is the temp of his tank? What is the pH? Axolotls can stand a wide range of pH. Adding this chemical in fact does damage. You would be much better off to allow the axolotl to adjust naturally rather than trying to artificially adjust the pH. The fluctuating pH could be affecting him during water changes. My pH runs around 7.8 and all my guys (11) are happy and healthy.

You should try to get a copy of your water report to see what is actually in your water. The water sitting out will allow chlorine to evaporate but not any trace metals that may be present in the water. Also, if your treatment plant uses chloramines in addition to/instead of chlorine - chloramines do not evaporate. You would need to use a dechlorinator to remove these.

Your guy looks to be a little on the skinny side too. What is his diet?

Brasco

Reaction score
That video was from the morning I got him - he's a big more rotund now. I feed him frozen turtle dinners, frozen bloodworms, or live gutloaded crickets.

sek

Reaction score
How much current is generated in your tank?

dazkeirle

Reaction score
got any little worms over the surface of the tanks glass?

If i allow these to build up then they make my axie do this, water change may disturb them...

Crysta

Reaction score
Looks like the current is too strong, his gills are moving around (not just the flapping)

___

When I do water changes I siphon the clean water into the tank - but onto plants - rock ect, to break the flow, and make it hopefully less stressful

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1