Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can Axolotls have nightmares?

Mintee

Reaction score
I'll sometimes be chilling on my computer, you know. Browsing forums, websites, etc, when I'll hear a rumbling sound from my Axolotl tank next to me. Turns out my axolotl is dashing about the tank. It's a relatively good size tank, and it's pretty empty, so it probably isn't causing him very much physical damage. Is he waking up from a "bad dream" when doing something like this, or is he trying to tell me it's time for food? :confused:

This has only happened two or three times in the past few months, but it kind of has me worried if it's something psychological about him, or if he's really uncomfortable?

Thanks,
Rob

daremo

Reaction score
umm I don't think they have psychological problems because they would need to have some kind of semiotic system that animals don't have... I think that you need to have some symbolic system in order to have dreams, and animals don't have it.

It could be anything else, lights going on, a noise, vibration, or maybe he's just having some fun swimming around...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1