Axolotl noobie from aus :)

deceptikot

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey everyone I live in aus and am currently a uni student and I recently purchased a pair of axolotl (male and female) not exactly sure what kind they are yet, but they are a pale orange though and even though people say they are ugly creatures I have grown to love them :p because others have goldfish in there tanks and I have these cool walking amphibians which will EAT their silly goldfish :D. anyway ill probably be seen in the questions forum because I want to know EVERYTHING about them and I soon hope to breed them once they "do there thing" if anyone has any great tips apart from the basics about breeding them please message me, id like to hear from expert breeders and what has worked from them. I am actually amazed that there is a site dedicated to the axolotls, makes my life so much easier! anyway thats about it. anyway thats about it really! look forward to talking to all of you :happy:

after reading some articles I have found out that they are golden albino's! :D

Last edited:
G'day fellow Aussie and Welcome! i'm somewhat new too, but am loving my new obsession!
i'm currantly raising axolotl larvae and one tip i have for you is that if your two do end up laying eggs i'd only raise about 20 and leave the rest in there to be eaten or give them away if you can find anyone suitable.
it's a full time job once they hatch and start growing, they need so much attention and live food (pain in the ****) and water changes, and once they start growing and getting limbs they need to be separated, otherwise they eat each other or at least bit of each other, so you need to make sure you've got the room and time and containers and enough live food.
but i suppose seeing as you don't even have eggs yet you've got plenty of time to think about it and get yourself ready! good luck with everything!
keep asking questions, the people here are lovely and really knowledgeable!

hahahahaaha just as i got home tonight at 3:15AM I noticed 3 small white floaty like things attatched to a rock after some googling I found out that it is the males sperm!!! I am so happy I feel like a pregnant mother about to give birth to her new babies :D I am buying a lot of brineshrimp and already have another 3 spare tanks to seperate all of them into! so so excited only bad thing is from all the info iv gathered it says that the best for beginners is to try and raise only 20 or so :( ah well I am excited and I will see how it goes! here is a link to what the 3 things look like!

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s292/kottaa/SPERM.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back