Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water changes

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently raising 26 two week old fry, they are all still together right now until I see aggression or they look crowded. The tub they are in is 28" x 18" and holds just under 30litres. They have some java moss to add a little security

How long could I get away with cleaning and partial changes before I should do 100% change?

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi Tom,

This is not an area I'm comfortable with nor experienced in, but maybe if you added a small sponge filter, you could continue indefinitely without the 100% water change. I would plan on thinning them out though, maybe a second container of the same size and split the brood. I'd worry way too much about cannibalism and it's my understanding this can start once they have limbs.

Last edited:

tomkeogh

Reaction score
As I said in my first post I am waiting until I see any aggression or over crowding before I begin to separate, as it is now they are all well fed and leave each other alone they all have front limbs growing.

With the height of the tubs that I have (I have 6 tubs identical size) I think a filter would create too much current they are only under-bed storage containers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1