Stressed Axies

sek

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Neo
Hi everyone. I've noticed that my axolotl Alonzo has a curled tail tip & Sek's gills are a bit more curly than I'd like them to be. My temp is 15 c as it always is. My substrate is sand.

They were very hungry yesterday and fed just like normal. I recently took a few plants out and my big filter and spray bar because they didn't have enough room. I have a tiny filter in my tank that generates next to current. Lately Sek has been a bit agressive towards Alonzo.

Alonzo is a bit smaller than Sek and Sek has had a growth spurt recently. Alonzo is also younger than Sek. My tank is 57cm long and can hold 40 litres. I'm currently saving for a longer tank so they have more room. I

'm worried that taking my plants out etc has stressed them. I have put a towel over the tank to make it nice and dark for them, hopefully it will make them less stressed. Will they calm down within the next couple of days? I really do not want them sick. Also, I recently did a water change after changing the filter and taking plants out, which has probably stressed them more. Water pH, nitrites and ammonia are all normal.

Is there anything else that I can do?
Thanks, Worried axie mum

I have one axie that always acts pretty stressed when I place or remove something in the tank. The next day it is all gone and she's acting normal again. I think the best thing you can do for NOW is nothing and see how he's doing tomorrow.
But I've never had an axie that was stressed for a longer time. Maybe someone else knows what to do when it doens't get better in days.

Thank you so much for your help. Sek was a little stressed when I first got him but he calmed down afterwards so I'm hoping it will go away soon.

Thanks again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back