Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How to move my axy and tank to new location?

axolotlmilky

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just found out that my local council are coming to my house to re-new our heating system. This therefore means the electricity has to be off and everything moved for the work, for a couple of days:mad:, and well I need to find out the best way to move my axy (and its tank) to my friends house for the days while its being done.

I was thinking of using either a fish carry bag (the ones you get when you buy fish from petshops), or a small plastic hamster/mouse carry box for my axy.

I was also thinking of siphoning 80%-90% of the water into air-tight bottles then topping-up like a water change when I get to my friends.

I do not use gravel etc so it should be easy to do.

Basically I would like advice from anyone who has done similarly in a house-move etc, as I want to cause the lease amount of stress:( possible to my axy

Anyhow cheers for reading and thanks in advance for all help

P.S. I may not even have to move her as I'll find out when the surveyor comes out to check what needs done as I need to move also as they'll be removing floor-boards etc and as I'm disabled they reckon it will be best if I'm not there:(

dragonlady

Reaction score
I would suggest simply putting your girl in the fridge for a couple of days until you are able to get her tank back up and running for her. I think this would be far less stressful to her then moving to another house and back again. You don't necessarily have to save the water. What could definitely help is to keep that tank running for those few days so you don't lose the established bacteria. If you could move it to another location in your home, partially set it back up so you can keep your bacteria healthy.

Here's how to fridge: FRIDGING

If you find out you don't have to move her at all, all the better! :D

femme

Reaction score
I would suggest simply putting your girl in the fridge for a couple of days until you are able to get her tank back up and running for her. I think this would be far less stressful to her then moving to another house and back again. You don't necessarily have to save the water. What could definitely help is to keep that tank running for those few days so you don't lose the established bacteria. If you could move it to another location in your home, partially set it back up so you can keep your bacteria healthy.

Here's how to fridge: FRIDGING

If you find out you don't have to move her at all, all the better! :D

that was my exact thought!

axolotlmilky

Reaction score
thanks guys,

I had thought about fridging but as I said before, they may have to move things like the fridge etc, to lift floor boards, and there will be no electricity for the few days so I thought the only solution is to move him/her, and luckily my friend said they could help, by taking him/her.

As far as the filter etc goes will i be best cleaning the sponge then storing the unit in some tank water to help preserve as much bacteria as possible?

I'm just at a loose end:(

femme

Reaction score
I can't believe they will leave you without electricity for a few days.. how are you supposed to cook, heat water, keep your freezer and fridge frozen? When I had my heating replaced i didnt go without electricity for very long. You might want to double check that it will be off for a few days and not just on and off over a few days - if you see what i mean?

tomkeogh

Reaction score
I agree with femme, there is no way they will leave you with no electricity for a few days. I am sure if you explain the situation with the work men they will avoid disturbing anything to do with the tank

axolotlmilky

Reaction score
Hi people,

we've had the surveyor in to discuss the heating, and its not good news, as the house is old they need to lift all floor boards to renew 90% of the pipework. So this means me and my axy are being moved out on the advice of the surveyor as they cannot take responsibility for any damage etc that may be done to the tank.

One good side is my neighbour has agreed to look after him/her for me, so it only involves a short trip down a flight of stairs then a 20m walk to the house, so its not all bad.

Should I take him/her out of the tank, while the move is on, or will he/she be ok in the tank for the short trip?

P.S. the electricity will only be off for a short period, the surveyor says the letter is misleading

dragonlady

Reaction score
I would transport him in a small container in a cooler with an ice pack to keep him as cool as possible. If you are only going to be out of your home for a week or less, I would put him in the fridge at your friend's house. I feel that setting up his tank for a short time at your friend's and then moving him right back to your home will be too stressful.

If you will be out of your home for several weeks, he will still be fine in the fridge, but it is up to you with setting up the tank. In any case, you will want to take steps to try to preserve the beneficial bacteria in your tank. You can set it up and just "feed" the bacteria ever few days with just a little flake fish food if you don't put the axolotl back in.

Good luck and please let us know how things go!

femme

Reaction score
good luck with it all, let us know how it pans out.
I'm glad you're not going to be living by candle light :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1