Axolotl newbee from the UK.

garymor123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.
I heard about the Axolotl on QI with Steven Fry and have become fascinated by it.
After reading information about them and discussion with my better half, we have decided to buy one.
If any members have any information or warnings about doing this, please point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

Welcome to the forum..

Have a good read of this site :-
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

And then look at the posts in the axolotl section on this site, The search function in the green bar towards the top of the page is very useful.

Let us know how you get on, and do ask any questions if needed....be warned however, you may become addicted ;)

Hi, that's so odd! It's exactly where I became fascinated by them too ages and ages ago!! It's great, easy and fun!! I got mine only maybe 2 weeks ago and find him amazing to watch!! He likes coming to watch me too!! They arnt really any bother either!! I've now got 5 eggs too and am loving watching them develop! Good luck :)

Hi. One axie is never enough once you get bitten by the axie bug :happy:

Hey everyone :)

Sorry for posting under your thread garymor123 but I have a question similar to yours (and funnily enough that same QI episode got me interested in Axies!)

Despite reading up for a good couple of months on getting Axolotls I still have one major worry before buying any: apart from an aquarium chiller (my poor wallet :| ) I don't know how I'm going to keep the temperature of my water below 25 degrees C (my room temperature atm).

I would be very grateful if anyone could share how they've managed and give any tips! :)

(P.S Julia, that website is great!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back