Nitrates problem

evut

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Eva
Hi, what is the best way to deal with high nitrates levels?
The tank has plenty of plants and I do frequent water changes but the nitrates are high in our tap water :(
I have no way of harvesting rain water at the moment and cannot buy water in a shop.
I've been looking at Tetra Nitrateminus water conditioner.
Tetra UK - Products - Tropical Aquarium - Care & Remedy - Care & Remedy - Tetra Water Care - Tetra NitrateMinus

Is it safe for amphibians? And would it help? Or is there something else?
Thanks for your help!
http://www.tetra-fish.co.uk/tetra/g...seite=6&group_id=310&group_2_id=12&lang_id=20

How come you can´t buy bottled water?
Mmmm...other than regular water changes i´m stumped...if you say your tap water has nitrates then water changes are useless. Plants will absorb some nitrogen compounds but they can´t work miracles...
I hope someone else has better advice, sorry Eva.

I meant RO or other water from a fish shop.

Would re-installing an internal filter help?

Not really. It would have no effect on nitrates.
Can you buy spring water? doing partial changes with it would certainly help.

Yes, I will try that and hopefully the tap water will improve because I didn't have this problem before.

In the mean time I would like to know if a water conditioner would be safe - I'm looking at this Tetra Nitrateminus, someone also recommended Hagen Green-X on a fish forum. Other companies have some products like this, too. Does anyone have any experience with these?
I am waiting for a reply from Tetra but would definitely like to check here as well.

I use Prime. It removes Chlorine, Chloramine, and Ammonia. And it detoxifies Nitrite and Nitrates.

Thanks for the tip. It seems that prime should be quite a good product from what I've read and Seachem confirmed that it's safe for amphibians.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back