Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axie owner and loving it :)

zoezakella

Reaction score
Hi all, loving this site and all the friendly :happy: people on here is wicked!

My love of amphibians only started recently when I found a newt whilst walking my dog late at night, our house is on the fields and we have a few streams and the poor newt looked very sorry for itself so I bought it home to find out what it was and then took it to St Tiggywinkles the following day for some TLC and had hoped on adopting it if needed be. However turned out it was a Great Crested Newt and The One Show wanted to film us bringing the newt in, was all very exciting! Anyway sadly I knew we could never keep the newt (being endangered) and was very excited that we had these round the corner from us and when "lucy" was better again they released her back into the wild again with the One Show filming the release! After that I got some lovely paddletail newts (Dragon & Diego)

Have just got my first 2 axies one is a leucistic with black eyes called Mojo & the other is golden (my son named Finley), they are fascinating to watch and are welcome additions into my living room :rolleyes:

Currently already have 4 goldfish (Fishy, Wishy, Gerald & Igam Ogam and yes my son named those) 3 apple snails (Gary, Larry & Snelly, again any spongebob fans) & 1 JRT called Widget :wacko:

Am now trying to get a wild axie to go with my other 2 afterall who doesn't want every colour they are very addictive!! :love:

Anyway thanks for reading and ARE U STILL AWAKE after reading all that :D

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...seems you have been bitten by the bug :bowl:. Looking forward to reading/ seeing your various beasties.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Hi there & thanks :) Got some albums set up in my profile if you would like a look :rolleyes:

Neek

Reaction score
hey Zoe! welcome, I'm a newby too! I'm currently raising axie larvae; it's very exciting and demanding!

there's this program i watch with this aussie host girl and they go to different animal organizations in the world and grant them $10,000 and then the program is about how the organization spends the money and shows for what they do there. and they had St Tiggywinkles on it the other week! looked like an amazing place!
if i ever travel to England i've decided that's the one place i'll defiantly have to go! hopefully I'll see a badger!

Neek

Reaction score
Have just got my first 2 axies one is a leucistic with black eyes called Mojo & the other is golden (my son named Finley), they are fascinating to watch and are welcome addition

just looked at your tank set up, it's lovely but the axies could easily swallow those stones, you might want to look at getting some sand 'CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand' is one option it's black and sparkly, very pretty. otherwise you might end up with some major problems
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attach...iest_trafton_232-20100809141008-original.jpeg

zoezakella

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for your welcomes & responses :)

Neek - thanks for the info regarding the gravel & I knew this would raise some issues on here do you know what the amount of conflicting advice out there is a lot gets very confusing for us beginners :) I spoke to one of the leading breeders in England as that was where I was going to get my axies from and she said that sand was a BIG no no as was bigger pebbles and she recommended this size pebble which yes I was surprised about after all I had read and been told but I also got these guys from Maidenhead Aquatics and they also recommended these?? I have bought this breeders book called How to keep a happy axolotl so will be interesting to see what it says in there but I have seen them suck up a pebble and then spit it out again, as I say very confusing reminds me of when I had my 1st baby and all the midwives tell you something different LOL appreciate any help though always appreciated just want my guys to be HAPPY & HEALTHY :) xx

Neek

Reaction score
now I'm confused lol yes a lot of people opinions seem to conflict. it's very annoying when all you want to do is make sure your axies won't get sick because of human ignorance

zoezakella

Reaction score
Exactly Neek, I spent weeks researching everything I could on these amazing creatures as I wanted everything to be 100% right so just as I thought it was all sorted it then wasnt. The axies I was meant to get sadly fell through at the last minute so I had to do a lot of phoning around to find some nearby which I can tell you isn';t many! Anyway I finally found some and when the lady in question, questioned me on my set up she said it was wrong and that sand was dangerous to the axies as they digest a lot whilst eating :( so as I say on top of her plus the place I got them from I felt I needed to go by what they said seen as she was a very respected breeder. So as much as I desperately wanted to share my gorgeous Axies I was also worried about the comments I would get on the set up :( Anyway they are in a basic tank at the moment due to the changeover the big tank will have a lot more in it but for now they are happily swimming around and playing on and under the log tunnel :):talker:

skipper

Reaction score
Hi Sorry but i'm with everone, these pebbles can be eaten ive seen so many posts on here all saying the same thing "there axies have eaten stones"
your stones are big they will not be able to pass them.
thats why most of us either use sand or bare bottom.

Your axies fell though at the last moment because a caudata member, changed her mind about posting, I had tolk her that one of my axies that i brought had gotton lost in the post even on a next day post.

Poor thing turned up 2 days later DOA, royal mail cant be trusted.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Hi skipper,

Sorry to hear about your poor axie Steph had told me and yes I know why it fell through and didn't blame her at all!

Really dont know what to do to be honest :(

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

zoezakella

Reaction score
Hi Julia,

Thanks for coming back and again thanks to all of you for taking the time and trouble to help!! Ok first things first I am miffed :mad: that I have been advised badly then as I never take on an animal until I know fully what I am in for and this lady was very forward in what I should be using and what I should not be using am wondering if buying her book was a bad thing now :( (Julia will pm her name to you) Secondly think I will give Maidenhead Aquatics a peace of my mind then as I again specifically asked about this and spent £20 (do not tell my hubby ;)) on some good gravel and now looks like I will have to chuck it grurrr plus when I got my axie home and it did take Mojo a day odd to come out of hiding he was missing a whole foot :( !

As for the post you sent me oh poor thing I do not want that happening :(

Well thats that then looks like gravel will have to go, new tank is coming next week so think I will go for what I orignally thought would be a good idea one big slate tile, any comments on this (please be kind) :happy:

Thanks again Julia and everyone :D

zoezakella

Reaction score
Julia, have just seen some past threads of yours when I searched this breeders name and you know exactly who I am talking about as I am sure you can see why I was very confused and trusted what she was saying to me, not easy this axie business :)

zoezakella

Reaction score
OK UPDATE FOR YOU ALL gravel is gone and being replaced at the weekend when my new tank is here to set up! Have had a right moan at Maidenhead Aquatics for there ill advised advice and the guy I spoke to was shocked I had been told to get that gravel as he said the same as you guys :mad: so that is one top breeder and a trusted fish store chain that has done me & my axies wrong :(, next time I will listen more to what I think is right as had done after all the info I had read on caudata but as I was a beginner I trusted the people I thought were right, lesson learned!!! :rolleyes: Will post pics of new tank set up when its ready :smile:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!