New Tank :)

LeeMc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all. i would to start off by saying "Hi" to everyone!

I have just reacently found this forum and have found some good usefull tips from here so thanks :)

I have had my Axie for about 6 months now, fist off i had Him/Her in a small tank in the kitchen till i had funds to get a decent tank.

I have recently gotten this tanks and he/she loves it, dosnt stop swmiming all day and playing with the bubbles from the airstone's :)

The tank is around 3ft long 2ft deep and 2ft wide,

2nlg5r9.jpg

The tank is a little bare at the moment but im looking to add plants and plent of hides for my axie, what would you guys recommend for me too add in here.

I have also read most of the threads on axies and gravel the place i bought the tank from sold me it with gravel and a UGF and said that i would be fine but since reading i am definalty switching to sand which WILL be done this weekend to reduce the risk at the moment i have added large pebbles to the bottom which are alot bigger than my axie is at the moment.

I done a water test earlier today and would appreciate it if someone could tell me if the valuse are ok.

PH: 7-7.5
Ammonia: 0
nitrate: < 40ppm

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Hi there, looks cool,

Glad you're well versed on substrate, you're making the right choice.

Only thing i can spot is your chest of drawers. 3ft x 2ft x 2ft, you're looking at about 200 kg+ when full of water, two 14 and a half stone men in weight, is your chest of drawers strong enough to hold that permanently? I'm sure it is, otherwise you wouldn't risk it but it's always worth giving some thought to. MDF isn't the strongest permanent solution.

I'd personally look for something that can support the entire bottom of the tank, purpose built for it.

The draws are steardy enough tho this is just a temparary measure untill i move the room around and buy a new stand.

Thanks for the advice :)

Also im having trouble keeping the water at a reasonable temp, at the moment its constantly at 21-22oC the lowest i had it at is 18oC using two 2lr bottles of ice, my axie doesnt seem to have any signs of heat stress and it was actualy living in temps of 24oC at the Pet shop i got it from so it may be used to it, but is there any advice to help lower the temp ive tried fans and that lowered it by 1oC over 24 hrs

Last edited:
I'm also having temp troubles , was below 18 this morning but as the day has gone on i cant get it below 24oC, do air stone really work for this?

Air stones agitate the water's surface which aids in evaporation. Evaporation does aid in lowering the temp.

LeeMc, do you have a hood on your tank or something partially obstructing the fan's path? What sort of filtration are you using? Have you checked the nitrites? Adding some plants and a hide will make him very happy. As Daz said, that tank won't survive long on those drawers. The corners of the tank must be supported properly, else the integrity of the glass is compromised, and this could end up cracked or completely busted. Hope you have access to some nice, juicy nightcrawlers for him!

Hi, Wafflefairy (cute name!). That's a pretty drastic change, do you have your tank near a window? If you have a hood on your tank, removing it and using a screen top will help. Also, if you have a regular house fan, you can position it so that it blows across the water's surface. I have achieved a 4 degree drop using this method along with the airstone.

See Cooling for some more ideas.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back