Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Return of the fungus!!!

Samtaylor49

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently wrote on here regarding Ned. He had fungus in his gill so we gave him regular salt baths and kept him in the fridge for over a month (as we couldn't keep the temp down in his tank). We have since moved house and as the fungus had stopped coming back for about a week or so, we put him back in his tank. He has been in his tank little over 3 weeks and the gill fungus has reappeared :(

it looks like salt baths for him again, poor guy. Any ideas why it would keep coming back? I don't want this to keep happening a it is a very stressful process for all involved.

Thanks,

Sam

dazkeirle

Reaction score
its probably the temperature.

The bacteria which causes the fungus is present always in the tank, in fact in most it's probably there along with a concoction of other nasties but it's only in warmer temperatures that some of these bacterias become active.

What temp is your new tank?

How often / much do you water change?

What is the general cleanliness of your tank like?

Samtaylor49

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for speedy response.

Tank is currently at 20 degrees, we do 80-90% change every 2 weeks or so and I think the tank is pretty clean. The fungus seems to attack his odd gill (he has one gill different to the others, it is kind of angled at the top.

Thanks again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!