Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Following around tank.

Danni

Reaction score
Hi

I was just wondering if other people's axolotls follow your hand/fingers around the tank? And also follow you when you walk around the room?

Thanks

axolotlmilky

Reaction score
Hi

I was just wondering if other people's axolotls follow your hand/fingers around the tank? And also follow you when you walk around the room?

Thanks

Yeah my axy does it all the time, especially at feeding time:D, its hilarious to watch what it gets up to sometimes it acts crazy and flips out and goes mad round the tank if i tease it, (its like the axy version of a tantrum):p

lea

Reaction score
my axie and my 17month old son play chasey up and down the tank. Tyler starts off near abby and then he runs to the other end of the tank and abby chases him and when they get to the end of the tank. Abby turns around quickly and swims back to the other end with Tyler chasing him.....It is very funny to watch.

sek

Reaction score
Of course! Sek & Alonzo always follow me. Alonzo likes to play hide and seek too... :)

bunny27

Reaction score
Yup, mine follows me :D !! They'll swim up to the top of the water as well, since I usually feed from the top. If I don't have worms, they'll bite the surface of the water, which is freaking hilarious!

axiegaz

Reaction score
yup, klaus and gretchen do too - if i look over the top of the tank they'll both swim to the surface and hang there waiting for scooby snacks :)

allegoriest

Reaction score
Mine started doing that overnight. Before, he wouldn't even look at me. I think once he realized I controlled the food, he fell in love, and now watches my every move.

I was really worried when I first brought mine home since he didn't do that. (I choose all my fish by the dance they do when they see you looking at them, and so I was terrified something might be wrong with him. But he's happily stalking me for food.)

ghogg

Reaction score
I have one that does to a degree, the other just looks on bemused. My female wild type will come to the front of the tank and swim up the glass and around where I am, waiting for food. The leucistic male just sticks his nose out of his hide and if no food appears he just reverses back in.

Morrison

Reaction score
Some of my axies are starting to 'learn' that. I have a silly lotl who likes to make weird movements.
I sometimes watch my axies from above and they all look up to 'see me' (or "is it fooood?") and one of them always swims to the surface, tries to grab my finger with his 'hands' and after she has touched my finger she makes a 'BACKFLIP' and swims back to where she came from.... Like... "I've done my job..."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1