Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Able to see spine on newt

tzigane87

Reaction score
I have an oregon newt who I have had for 4 years. Always looked healthy but recently his backbone is starting to show. He doesn't act any different from what I've seen. Should I move him to a smaller cage and feed him more. I don't want his buddy to get sick. I got them together. Any advice?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I would seperate them for a bit. This serves 2 purposes. First, this will prevent it from passing something onto the other newt if it in fact has something contagious. The other possibility is that the other newt has started bullying or stressing out your sick newt.

You can try increasing the amount of feedings by adding an extra day. Also I would add waxworms to its diet as these are high in fat and are extremely effective at adding weight to newts and salamanders.

tzigane87

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch I will def try this. I also noticed today when I cleaned them out that my newt is also bloated. If he doesn't get better soon I'll have him checked out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!