Need advise on how to start herping???

familyman03

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in bakersfield, Ca and the temperature here is running in the 90's pretty steady now. I am surrounded by mountains about 1 hour most any direction where the temperature can range from 65-high 80's. I have never been herping and do not even know where to begin or what to ask but from keeping my newts I know that temperature will more than likely affect where I should go. Please help me get started. Any and all information is greatly needed and appreciated. Alson would I be able to take my children from 2 years to 9 years old? What equipment do I need? What techniques do I employ etc......

Thank you for your advise.

Jason

To begin herping you need to find forests,most likely with wetlands.Look in and around creeks and streams under bark,logs on land and under rocks,plants any shelter in the water.For newts or other aquatic creatures look in ponds or lakes,if they are in the ponds most likely they will be visible as california newts are what you will find.When I go herping I use old gloves and a small aquarium net.I also try to wear old clothes and old shoes as it can get dirty herping.If i'm going to collect some amphibians I take small containers filled with moist moss that I carry in a small back back or duffle bag.You might also want to take a few sandwiches or snacks along with water as you may get hungry or thirsty walking.You can take the kids as long as you keep a close eye on them as you dont want them turning over a log and finding a snake or scorpion.It can be a fun experience for kids though.I think thats about it,good luck and happy herping.

Dont forget the bug spray! I think thats the most vital part..lol!

I might add that you should wear high boots and tuck your pants in unless you wanna get attacked by Chiggers. If your going into ponds and such wear some rubber dikies or rubber overalls.
Plan ahead according to the weather ( as it seems you know ). You dont wanna be out thinking that your gunna find a vast array of Amphibians on a sweltering hot day only to find nothing at all cause they are underground hiding.

I find that the best days out are days that Imnot looking for a indevidual type of animal. Those are teh days that you end up finding the oddest things.

Actually, forget the bug spray, it can be very toxic, even if it says non-toxic. If you do plan on picking them up, wet your hands first, and do not wear any type of bug spray.

spotlighting can really help you find herps out at night. LED head torch's are great when your on foot. but another great method is to go out at night on dirt roads with your car and the lights on. i've found plenty of snakes at night just laying on the road.

good luck and take some good pics

Last edited:
I have taken six kids ranging from 3 to 9 out herping. Most kids are eager to jump into streams, dig in the mud, and pick up rocks(even the prissy-est of little girls)! Have fun buddy!

You may already know this, but I wanted to throw it out there since it was mentioned by another reply-er; do not take any of the CA herps home with you unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure there are no restrictions on that particular species, and you are completely set up at home to supply all of their needs.

I believe it is illegal to collect any of the caudates in our golden state, and know some are threatened. I may be mistaken, but since CA has more laws about just about everything, and our natural resources are carefully monitored, it would be wise to understand the legal limits to collecting if that was something you wanted to do.

For instance, the Desert Tortoise is endangered in part because for years people who found them just took them home. These tortoises can catch and carry pneumonia from humans and once touched cannot be allowed back into the wild population- in case they spread respiratory infections. It is illegal to touch them, and you had better not scare them either, because they release all of their water stores as pee in a defensive/distractive measure and may not be able to replenish their water stores in time to survive.

I wish my parents had taken me herping! I wish you great luck! My grandmother lives in Bakersfield and I remember the big thrill for me when there was going out at night to find "Ugly Toads" on her lawn. They are big and loud.

Salamanders are not an easy species to start with. They are uncommon in most places and you may have to flip over thirty-fourty logs before finding a single caudate. Some vernal pools get lots of salamanders but most do not. This year I had to search for almost two hours just to find a small pocket of tiger salamander larvae.

As a little kid I went searching for herps all the time but never once did I find a salamander by myself. Lifting log after log and finding nothing is frustrating to a 13 year old. Its only been recently that I've been able to find many of the local salamanders. However, I live in Michigan. Our salamander diversity is just horrible. Maybe you will have better luck in CA.

I'll have to disagree with you on Michigan salamanders. We have ten species, and there's very healthy salamander populations throughout the state. It's all about having location information, and going on the right days with the right temps. If you've found tiger salamander larvae here though, I think you're doing pretty good. I hear they're quite difficult to find in this state.

In CA you can collect most amphibian and reptile species if you have a CA fishing license, the specific regulations and protected species are all outlined very clearly online at Hunting and Sport Fishing Regulations . Protected species are listed and obviously cannot be touched or collected (ie. California Tiger salamanders). In Bakersfield you most likely have Taricha torosa in the mountains, arboreal salamanders, slender salamanders, chorus frogs, bullfrogs and toads (Bufo boreas?).

"I'll have to disagree with you on Michigan salamanders. We have ten species, and there's very healthy salamander populations throughout the state. It's all about having location information, and going on the right days with the right temps."

This is a very good point. Most of the salamander migrations occur in early spring so right now it is the wrong time of year to expect to find large numbers of those species. But there are a few species that are known to have fall migrations as well. If you could find out which of these guys do this in california finding them can be easy. Another thing to realize is that many salamander species are nocturnal so the best time to look for them is at night.

And i'm not saying michigan doesn't have salamanders, our diversity is just bad. Just because the state has ten salamanders doesn't mean a community will. To see all ten species in one day I'd have to drive all across the state. Locally, I have only ever found three species and all of them are in Ambystoma. :( Driving somewhere else and I find redbacks all over the place, but nothing from Ambystoma.

Thanks for the clarification about the regulations! :)

I'll have to disagree with you on Michigan salamanders. We have ten species, and there's very healthy salamander populations throughout the state. It's all about having location information, and going on the right days with the right temps. If you've found tiger salamander larvae here though, I think you're doing pretty good. I hear they're quite difficult to find in this state.

I quite disagree with that statement. I as a child was excellent at finding long toeds:cool:

I quite disagree with that statement. I as a child was excellent at finding long toeds:cool:
In MICHIGAN?

Where they occur, long-toes can be quite common and easy to find, but they don't occur any significant distance east of the Rockies. By and large, salamanders are secretive and seasonally surface-active [especially in California].

Step One- Get a field guide and or check sheet of the species in the area you want to go.

Step Two- Study the field guide and know your critters.

Step three- Invest in a good pair of water resistant hiking boots and get your camera ready to go

Step Four- Look up and read the local laws. (For instance here in Nebraska you need to have a fishing license and cannot touch the protected species.)

Step six- Hit the field.

All the usual camping/backpacking rules apply, like NEVER go alone, always let folks know where you are going, etc.

From there the rest is just experience.

In MICHIGAN?

Where they occur, long-toes can be quite common and easy to find, but they don't occur any significant distance east of the Rockies. By and large, salamanders are secretive and seasonally surface-active [especially in California].

Whoops I wasn't quite clear on that.:dizzy:

Step One- Get a field guide and or check sheet of the species in the area you want to go.

Step Two- Study the field guide and know your critters.

Step three- Invest in a good pair of water resistant hiking boots and get your camera ready to go

Step Four- Look up and read the local laws. (For instance here in Nebraska you need to have a fishing license and cannot touch the protected species.)

Step six- Hit the field.

All the usual camping/backpacking rules apply, like NEVER go alone, always let folks know where you are going, etc.

From there the rest is just experience.

This is the best advice given, especially step two, know what you are looking for, this is both for your safety and the safety of the critters you are looking for.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back