Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red eft help!!!!

Risigan

Reaction score
Hi, yesterday I found some TINY red efts. I caught 2 of them and they are in a temporary 1 gallon enclosure. The 2 of them will be moved into a 5 gallon tank on Saterday. I am going to get some fruitflies but I can't get there until Friday. I was wondering if they would be fine until then. They are only about 1.5 inches long. I will post pics soon. Also, what should the substrate be and how should I set up the enclosure.

Risigan

Reaction score
Really? 12 views and no replies? I just need to know the best way to set up an enclosure for these guy's.

Wolferic

Reaction score
Hey there i few days is ok.. I mean they can be quite sturdy lil fellows. Don't you have any Saw bugs or tiny worms? OR maggots? Lil spiders? any creature that is the size of his mouth? Go for a stroll in the bush or better yet dig up some earth worms tiny ones and cut them in half.. let them squiggle around. I had a one for a few days without knowing I picked up a log to cut for my Tiger Sally and there happen to be 2 on the inside in the soft bark. As well as a red back..(Was a faitly big log lol) Anyhow I Wasn't going to just release him where i live as the log was in a forest that had different substrate then the forest around me. So i had to keep the little guy for a week or 2. He got used to eating and snapping at the saw bugs and tiny worms a couple of black ants that i made walk funny soon became his lunch too. Anyhow he was easy to look after. and liked the substrate i had in there mixed with leaf and moss and a tiny hide ect.
I housed them in a Bug collector i bought at the Dollar store. I know this probably wasn't the best set up but i wasn't going to keep them just to house them until i could make it back to the same area the log came from. They seem to be pretty brave and hardy and a pon release they just found a spot to hide and dove back in. Cute little guys. The redback i released in the woods around me the next day. The are too common in the woods near me so no fear of them dying there. Anyhow hope this helps:>

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1