Not-really-obligatory intro post

allegoriest

Reaction score
Country
United States
First post! I'm an axolotl person. (I bet you guys get alot of us, don't you.)

...At least, I think I am. I have a little green guy that people call an ajolote. I think they're the same thing, right? He looks like an axolotl but.. green. I've never seen a green one anywhere. :confused: (He's also probably a she, but for all purposes, he's a he.) At first he wanted nothing to do with me, but now, if I do anything, he jumps up to look.

Anyway.

I like fishies too. Especially angelfish. I also have frogs, and lots of other non angelic fish. And puppies. Oh the puppies. I used to breed fish, but, I'm just not made of aquatic space.

And... I have no idea what to say. So... hi!

Welcome to the forum! If you can post a picture we can ID your salamander for sure. Larval tiger salamanders mimic axolotls and are often a hue of green but since they morph into terrestrial sals it's best to know for sure what to expect.

YouTube - axolotl feeding time

I don't have a picture on my computer, but I have a video.
I mean... I see how he looks like one, but not like one I've seen.
...Especially since he seems to like thinks that axolotls don't tend to like.
This is really the only salamander type pet I've had, so I really appreciate your help~

Looks like a larval Tiger salamander, either Ambystoma tigrinum or mavortium.

Thanks~

To the tiger salamander forum with me! (The sheet was pretty helpful, and they do look exactly the same.)
He was a gift from some friends, (who don't speak English very well) and I guess it was either a case of mistranslation or mistaken identity.

But yay! I've always wanted to make a not completely submerged habitat. I'm mostly afraid of the feeding though. (I prefer frozen worms and whatnot...)

But I have good petstores near me, and I'm sure they can help me get everything straight that I don't get online. ...Like the food. And if I can't pull it off, I can give him to someone who can. But I plan to keep him.

And now, he's digging holes. Being adorable and stuff.

...The hardest part is not picking him up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back