Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New and from New Zealand

JP100

Reaction score
Hi,
Im from New Zealand and have been breeding Axolotls for about the last 7 years. Hoping to share and learn alot of new info
Thanks

Danni

Reaction score
Hi

I am from New Zealand also. Where abouts are you?
Welcome to the forum!

Danni

Danni

Reaction score
I'm great!

Uh, Auckland....there are a lot of south islanders on here by the way :)

Danni

Reaction score
Umm...bad news...I think most types of salamander are not introduced to NZ and are therefore illegal (someone correct me if I am wrong here).

No, All the people I have messaged from NZ have had axolotls only and none of them have metamorphed, a friend of mine had one but it died sadly :(

JP100

Reaction score
<P>I thought this was the case I was just checking. I think I must be the only one in NZ with a metamorphed Axolotl. How did your friend change theirs?</P>

Danni

Reaction score
She didn't....it got really old and started changing, very occasionally they do that, she was just luck (or unlucky depending on which way you look at it).

How did you change yours?

By the way, I love your gold axolotl's :) , I have been wanting a gold one for ages!

JP100

Reaction score
Ok that can happen. I had two one died they are/were quite old the one I still have is about 7 years old so I thought I was doing pretty well.
I used thyroid.
Yea the golds are good I hav'nt had my golds for very long hoping to breed them when it warms up a bit.

sek

Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

Side note... please do not try and make your axies morph. It is practically un-natural for them and will stress them/kill them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1