Soon-to-be Axolotl owner. A few questions!

MichaelWB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

At some point next week I am going to pick up my Axolotl! I'm very excited but I have a few questions. I've read lots of websites and Q&As about caring for her but I would like to ask a forum as it will let me actually communicate with a human being.

Here's basically what I've got set up or have in mind.

I've set my tank up today with the intention of leaving it all set up over the weekend, to pick up my Axolotl on Monday or Tuesday. It's about 10 Gallons or so. I plan on buying a larger one when she gets bigger as she's only a few inches long at the moment. After all, you wouldn't buy a king size bed if you were having a baby. I've got an under gravel filter. And in terms of gravel it's small and mixed up with some very fine sand. I've read about Axolotls accidentally eating larger pieces of gravel so I'm hoping what I have chosen is small enough! Any other suggestions for substrate please let me know!

I've got a large piece of wood sitting at the bottom of the tank. This is just for her to explore so she doesn't get bored. Also she can hide under it or behind it, if she feels the need.

The room I've put her in is naturally quite dark as I've read Axolotl's don't like light. I haven't got a light in the tank or anythings because of this. My only concern with the room is that it's the same room as the telephone. I haven't read anything about axolotls and loud noises though. She'll be living underwater so she might not hear it. In fact, I'm not entirely sure Axolotls even have ears. I guess they do! I'm probably the only person in the world to have ever worried about this but some input would be great.

That's my set up.

My only worry is feeding her. I've got a list of what sort of foods Axolotl like to eat and they can be bought at my local supplier so that's not a worry. I spoke to someone who said that an Axolotl can quite happily live on an earthworm a day? Doesn't seem like much. Typically how much/often shall I feed her? I would say she's about five or six inches long, if that helps. Many sites say "Feed your Axolotl when its hungry" but I've never seen a hungry axolotl before!

I can't think of anything else right now that I'm unsure of, or would like someone to read about and tell me if it's okay. Sorry this is a bit of an essay, I just want what's best for my axolotl. Is this what parenthood feels like?

Thank you for reading and thanks in advanced for any comments/suggestions/questions.

hi michael and congrats on your pending axie. I will have a go at answering your questions
Please make sure your gravel is smaller that 1mm because anything bigger might get eaten and then get stuck.
I have never use a undergravel filter so i cant comment on this bit.
As for the phone thing i dont know if they can even hear...
You will need to do daily water testing and water changes until your tank is cycled. Maybe you can get some plants(fake or real the choice is yours)(i use fake because i seem to kill all plants that are near me).
They are always hungry...Cookies eats about 3x5cm earthworms and frozen bloodworms every 2nd day and Abby has 10 axie pellets(he wont eat earthworms) and frozen bloodworms every 2nd day.
lea

Last edited:
Thank you lea.

As for the exact size of the gravel, I would say it's about 1mm. If I'm honest, calling it sand is probably more accurate. I would say this is my number 1 worry, but I'm sure it's fine. I don't think the sand particles will be mistaken for food.

I've read mixed reviews when it comes to plants. Some people say that they can be a hazard for the axie, while others recommend them. My tank isn't very big at the moment, so plants might not be a good idea until she's in a larger tank. For space reasons more than anything.

I did a little research and apparently they can't hear very well at all, so she should be fine.

Thank you for the advice about cycling the tank. I wasn't sure about that, so I should have asked! I'll read up on it and do as appropriate.

Thank you.

Hi, Micheal

Welcome to the world of axies... :)
I don't really advise changing the water every day during the cycling begining. It will disturb the bacteria too much. I find that the cycle happens much quicker if it's only once a week 20% changes as normal. But, if you test your water every day and are worried, then you might do an extra 20% here and there.

Your setup sounds good, I'd advise sand as it is a very easy substrate. Bare bottom tanks are too stressful for most axies (Mine sulked and only had to have it like that for one day!)

As for the phone, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Plants, I really suggest live plants. They will help with your cycle. My axies really disliked having a tank with one hide and a plant in it, they seem to like a lot of things to hide in.

As for the sand particles being mistaken as food, when food drops onto the substrate the axies can smell it and occasionally digest sand (mine spit it out and really dislike eating sand LOL)

Hope that helps! Have fun with your new axie.

Hooray more questions.

You guys have probably answered these questions about a million times before, so sorry if it's a little bit repetitive for you every time someone gets an axolotl and discovers this website.

I decided to invest in a thermometer, despite being told by others I didn't need one, and the water is 22c, which I found surprisingly warm. The tank isn't near any windows and is in a room with laminate flooring, so it always feels colder in there. (It's a nightmare not getting that stuff wet though) Is there anything I can do to get the temperature down? I know that regular water changing helps keep the temperature down, but I'm a little bit reluctant to do that because I've read different things about how often you should change the water when cycling.

It's hard because everything seems to have a knock on effect on everything else.

Another question about cycling. As I understand you're supposed to let the tank run and let the ammonia levels build up, and then they'll dissipate back down again and the tank will be cycled. I haven't tested the water yet (the tank has been set up two days) because I can't quite see where the ammonia is going to come from if the tank doesn't have anything in it?

I have read that if you put a small amount of brine shrimp in the tank each day it can help bring up the ammonia levels when you're cycling but a few small shrimp in the tank are hardly going to create the same amount of ammonia as a ravenous amphibian! Basically, I am worried that when I get my Axolotl because the change in the chemicals in the water are going to change so much, everything I've done initially is going to be pointless and I'll have to start again.

Sorry this is quite long, I'm just trying to be detailed in the questions I ask.

Thank you.

You can also add a few flakes of fishfood every day, some of this breaks down into ammonia which helps the cycle along too. Maybe add a couple of guppies in there too ...

I've read somewhere about people actually buying ammonia from a chemist and adding drops to the water to kick start the cycle, never tried that though.

Oh the joys of cycling!

First reading, after having the tank set up for 48 hours now looks a little like this,

Ammonia 4.0mg
Nitrite 0.25mg
Nitrate 30mg

When I test this in a day or two's time. I am looking for a rise in everything but ammonia. Is this correct? When this happens I add more ammonia?

Then I'll have to do this a third time? And then afterwards keep testing it until it all comes up zero? That's a lot of testing. On average how many times do you have to test the water until it comes up fine. These water testing kits are a little expensive!

And then when everything is 0 I can do a 20% water change and then can put her in.

I was hoping to pick her up on Tuesday but by the sounds of it this process might take another week? Sorry that this post is just an excerise in reading comprehension in regards to me and the cycling article on Caudata Culture I'm just really worried about getting it wrong. I hope this is the most stressful part.

Last edited:
Cycling tanks 4+ weeks. You can put your axie in the tank while it is still cycling, but you have to do like 30-40% Water changes to lower the harmful levels of nitrite and nitrate. I think most would recommend against doing that and tell you to fridge your axies while the tank cycles. Some people don't want to create undue stress for their axies.

I personally put my two axies in a tank that was still cycling, and did big water changes. I didn't have any problems.

The choice is yours, but keep in mind if you put your axies in you will have to do water changes everyday. Otherwise get some hardy fish to promote your cycling, while fridging your axies. You won't have to do nearly as any water changes.

Hi Michael,

Test your water every 24-48 hours until you see the ammonia drop and the nitrites start to rise, then add a little more of your ammonia source. Then keep monitoring your tank until you see nitrates start to rise and at this time your nitrites should be dropping off.

If you want to add your axie before cycling is complete, do a 20-30% water change 24 hours before adding him/her. You definitely want to keep your ammonia levels down w/the axie in. This may mean daily 20%+ water changes until the ammonia spike is over. I find that the cycle progresses much quicker w/the animal in but not everyone has the same result.

To help w/the ammonia with the axie in, you can use Amquel+ or Prime as a dechlorinator. These products neutralize the effects of the ammonia without interrupting the cycling process. However, be aware that you will most likely get a false ammonia reading if you use one of these.

I don't find that water changes interfere with the cycle much but you want to take care not to disturb your ornaments or your filter during the cycle. Bacteria clings to any semi-porous surface it can find. Good luck!

I cycled my tank with the axies in it.I used a starter liquid, and it took about 3 weeks. I did a 20% water change every day at the start which kept the ammonia at 0.25, later in the cycle i slowed down to every 2-3 days 20 % change

Did you use test strips or a test kit for those readings?

4 Amm is very high, when i cycled my tank I did a 20% water change if the reading was higher than 0.25

I am amazed you have a nitrite reading at all and totally shocked you have a nitrate reading after just two days, thet seems very fast - thats why i wondered if you used strips (they are not as accurate as the test tube kits)

Cycling will take at least 4 weeks - i used a starter liquid (mixed reveiws, up to you) and reduced the time by a huge 1 week (i wouldnt bother next time, given it only saved a week and there is a risk of affecting axies skin with an enzyme starter liquid)

You should start with high ammonia, then the Amm will drop & the nitrites spike, then the nitrates spike anf the nitrites will drop. Very soon after the nitrates spike you will find the amm & nitrites will drop to 0

I would not put an axxie in a tank with 4+ readings and a water temp of 22 - higher temps exponentially increase the effects of ammonia - the higher the temp, the more ammonia will effect the tank - i'd do a water change and get (and keep) that amm reading down)

If you cant get it down from there then consider the Amquel or something similar, but remeber as soon as you use that your readings are useless as the test wont pick up the ammonia. The cycling wont stop, you just wont really know how its going - i wouldnt use amquel unless the animal was at risk

A smaller tank is harder to manage (im told) , and a larger tank will be easier to keep cool - just food for thought

bren

Thanks very much guys.

To answer a few questions.

I'm using a test tube kit, I use a few colour charts and get my results from there.

Since yesterday I was convinced into putting in some bacteria. It's been pretty stressful, personally. I'm not exactly sure what it was. "NutraCycle" or something. Said to speed up the cycle. I have no idea how reputable it is, but it's in the tank now.

I'll test the water later today. I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. A drop in Ammonia and a rise in Nitrites? Or will that come much, much later? I'll post the results when I do it later this afternoon, and we'll see if we're on course.

Was hoping to pick my Axie up tomorrow, but it looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer! Must be what parents feel when their children are overdue. Joy!

Cool, test tube kit is much better.

It's ok if you have already used a cycle starter / bacteria liquid - As i said, i used one, it had absolutely no ill effects on my axies. It's just that it really didn't do much in speeding up the cycling. I wouldn't use it again, but it doesn't mean you have done anything wrong, you've started it now so you may as well keep using it. When you get your axie, just keep an eye out for any skin issues.

If you are like me, you'll be watching them heaps anyway :)

Just be patient with the cycle, it will take weeks, not days.

At the start you will get high ammonia, keep it down by changing the water (probably everyday). Pretty soon, you'll be getting nitrite readings to, again, keep them low with water changes.

You'll probably get very low or nil readings for nitrates for a while, then all of a sudden they will kick in.

Once you get 0 ammonia and nitrates, your tank is cycled

Good move on waiting an extra week or so, do some more research and get comfortable with the water changes etc before you get your new freind

Bren

Hey everyone.

Apologies for posting 4.0 earlier. It was actually 0.4!

Anyway, since that was two days ago, I thought I'd post the results of a test that I did today. Tomorrow was going to be the big day so I'll have to make a quick visit to the place I'll be getting my axolotl from and ask if they can hold a bit longer. I'm sure they'd rather me doing it properly than trying to offload her onto me.

The results were a little odd, so try and get your heads around them please?

This is with the tank set up for four days.

Ammonia has gone from 0.4 to 0.8
Nitrite has gone from 0.25 to 1.0
and Nitrate has gone from about 30 to about 60.

I'm surprised because not everything is supposed to be going up.

Would you ladies and gentlemen recommend I change some of the water or would that disrupt the cycling process?

Again, I'm really sorry for all of these questions I'm sure you answer about a million cycling questions a day!

Yo, cant belive no one has thrown this out there but here goes, you are using sand with an under gravel filter? (Sand = good btw!) ive been doing abit of research about undergravel filters recently (been lookin for cheap aquariums and they all have em!) and as far as im aware they dont work with sand it becomes too compacted and is ineffective as a filter, instead of sponge it uses the gravel as the filter medium and it needs to be reasonable sized gravel to get the water flowing through it, sand would just clog it up (imagine a clogged sponge, it just wont work) I'd reccomed chucking it and getting an internal or external power filter, even if it is working at the mo it wont be for long! (ooh and you gotta tear the whole tank apart to clean the thing!) Theres alot of info out there ive been looking at and it all said no to sand with undergravels purely because it doesnt work!

If ive got the wrong end of the stick I apologise!

I forgot to mention, I changed the filter actually!

It was quite an old one and it kept stopping and starting so I chucked it. I switched to a sponge filter a few days ago (should have said!) I quite like it because you can adjust the flow so you don't upset the Axie too much! I've read a little on the subject and it should be okay!

Don't worry that your post doesn't apply anymore though Ed, it's still good knowledge to know! Can never know too much!

Hi,

Just been reading everyone's advise and everything and to be honest a lot of people have lots of different ways of keeping axolotls so I wouldn't worry too much if your set up isn't the same as everyone elses.

Personally I keep my Wilson with no substrate at all and he doesn't seem to mind (although many will tell you that they get stressed with nothing to grip under their feet). No substrate = no accidental eating it. This is a really simple set-up and my axolotl is really healthy and happy.

As per the phone, well axolotl's aren't really bothered by the noises around them too much, so long as the phone doesn't constantly ring of course! My axy lives next to my computer which occasionally has sounds emanating from it and to be honest he usually comes out of hiding and looks towards the computer desk... perhaps he's investigating it?

Everything is falling into place! Just had my Nitrite spike! I've never been so excited about coloured water before

So my readings this morning looked a little like this.

Ammonia 0.1mg
Nitrite - Somewhere between 1.5.mg and 4mg (The range on my colour indicator was pretty huge between these two points)
Nitrate 50mg

So I put some more ammonia source in now do I? And then wait for the Nitrates to spike? They're already pretty high as they are. Cool. Thanks everyone. We're getting there.

I'm going to have to buy some more test stuff today, which is more money but it's also the place where my Axie is so I'll be able to visit her and tell the guys there I haven't forgotten about her!

Thank you everyone!

Apologies for double posting, just quandaries left right and centre this very morning.

I went to the Aquatics place today. Just to pick up some more testing stuff as all this vigorous testing has left me without anything.

I said to the guy that I wouldn't be able to pick my axie up for a good 10-14 days from now because my tank was still cycling. He asked why it was taking so long and said that it should only take a week.

I explained to him how I was doing fish-less cycling and how I'd read up on the subject quite extensively and was pretty sure I knew what I was doing. The man hadn't heard of the phenomenon and doubted my approach. He simply told me you get a tank, put tap safe in it for a week and then you add the axolotl. When you add the axie you also add a stress coat and do water changes about every 3 days or so. I haven't read anything like this before, so I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this.

The final blow was the fact they told me that they wouldn't hold on to her for such a long period of time (another 10-14 days) and couldn't guarantee they wouldn't sell her in that time. When I explained I had already bought her, they said they had nothing of the sort on their records. I explained that I had a receipt (which I'd forgotten, as you do!) so I'm going to have to make another trip to the place just to prove that I've paid for the axie already.

So yeah. I'm seriously considering abandoning the axolotl dream now because of how stressful this all is. I'm fine with the cycling aspect and I understand it but it's just the multitude of different information is stressing me out. Plus the fact that the place I was considering getting her from now know that I'm "doing it wrong" when I'm actually doing everything right.

Any advice would be pretty cool right now.

Thanks.

you've just learnt the no.1 rule. Fish shop owners like to sell things, not make life easy for you. That's why you need tap safe, stress coat, uber-aqua-powder etc. They are all chemicals with high mark up.

Just don't listen to a word they say, they're like personal trainers, full of s**t. (ok not all, but most are)

You have the ability to monitor your tank to see how far you are through a cycle yourself with a API test kit.

All that is needed to cycle is an ammonia source and time to allow good bacteria to build up, the more surface area into the tank / filter medium the faster the build up and the faster the cycle.

Axies are one of the most trouble free pets to own provided you don't use gravel, and don't start experimenting with chemicals intended for fish.

You're fine to put your axie in the tank while it's cycling, just make sure you keep an eye on ammonia levels and do regular water changes until the water looks after itself.

There really is very little to it. You can have a trouble free setup with only:

• Axie,
  • Tank
  • Sand
  • Dechlorinated water
  • Basic filter
  • Earthworms
  • Syphon
  • Turkey baster
  • Water Testing Kit
That really is all you need, and it's this reason alone the fish shops need to convince you that you need chemicals, otherwise they make nothing.

Thanks Daz.

My water is currently halfway through the cycle. The Nitrite levels are quite high. Would it be okay to put her in, in a few days when these drop, provided I do a water change every day. Just to see the cycle through the last stages?

The only issue I have now is that they're not convinced that my water will be suitable for another week. But they won't hold on to my axie for another week so it's a bit problematic. Oh politics!

Though, I have paid for her (though they don't believe me!) so that's an issue I'll have to resolve with them. I have the receipt still though, so, I'm not sure what my rights are!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back