Egg advice

femme

Reaction score
Country
England
Hello my knowledgeable friends!
I have been been lucky enough to have been posted some axie eggs from a very kind lady who frequents another forum I lurk in, but I am unsure if they have perished in the post :(
My camera is broken and my mobile cant pick them up clearly enough. Once my sister gets home from work i will ask to borrow her cam and take some pics but until then..
Can anyone clarify 'cloudy'? I have looked through all the other egg related posts and it says if cloudy toss away or seperate as they are likely bad. My eggs kind of have a milky hint to them. Some clearly perished or arent viable as they are still balls but the others are in varying stages.. kidney shaped, and some are worm shaped. I have separated them into smaller batches trying to keep the ones together that look at the same stage.
Are the eggs supposed to be completely see through? or is some slight milkiness ok?
Like i say, i will post up a pic this evening but until then i wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

edited to add - im really hoping i got some good ones left, im going to be gutted if they all went belly up, i was really excited about the thought of rearing some babies

Without a picture I can't say for sure. Usually they go cloudy and they are hard to see inside when they are bad. The kidney ones sound like they are developing though.

ok so i have had another go at pics with my phone. I'm slowly uploading them as i speak if any are good i will post.

The guy on the right seems to be the most developed. but the patch underneath him is actually in the egg with him not on the outside. Is that bad?
Photo276.jpg

will upload some more if there are any more clear/clearer pics

Photo264.jpg

these are the ones i think maybe bad
Photo258.jpg

Last edited:
The one on the right on the 1st picture looks ok. But the rest look like they are bad eggs unfortunetly. If I was you I would cut the little guy out of the eggs just to be on the safe side.

the first 2 pics are of the best 2 eggs out of the batch. They are in a seperate container. The first 2 pics are actually of the same 2 eggs, ones just a little closer. The guy on the left in those pics is bad to you think?

sorry I should of been clearer when posting the pics

I believe the 10th give or take a day or so. They were posted tuesday and i got them wednesday

Can you see their gills ok? the reason being they need to be reasonably developed before you cut them free.

the one on the right looks like the beginnings of some gills but im not sure about the guy on the left.
I keep looking to see if they have grown since they arrived but its hard to tell

best leave them then for now, give it another week or so to see what happens.

thanks for all the help :)
I will leave them, keep doing the water changes and see what happens

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back