Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A second Greeting form Orlando

Vicious Puffer

Reaction score
Hello all,
My name is from Heleen, currently living in Orlando Florida, with a growing household of pets. Save for an African dwarf frog, I really haven't owned any amphibians, though I'm eager to change that.

I'm obsessed with interesting animals - both in appearance and in biology - and I'm happy to be soon adding some Axolotls to the mix. I currently have a large community tank with various fish (Dinosuar Bichir, large pleco, platies, mollies, barbs, snails, and a cory cat.) a smaller exclusive tank of puffers, and a side tank of feeder crabs. Currently also hatching Triops.
In another room I have female (or so I think....) Striped California King Snake, in a 20 gallon long tank.

I've recently contacted John Shronn on this site about Leucistic and White Albino axies.

I'd say my main concern is maintaining a low temperature - we keep the house fairly cool, but Florida isn't exactly a chily state. I read somewhere that you can put in ice bottles to cool the water, and I've read elsewhere that the drastic change in temperature from this method is merely stressful, so I'm a tad worried.
But nonetheless, I'm very excited, and if all goes well I may eventually look into breeding.

Dreamtheory

Reaction score
welcome to the forums

sounds like amphibians will be a nice add to your collection of animals

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1