Help is he sick! please look at pics

ladyleslie2013

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Leslie
So i recsued him from being bait and kept in horrible conditions but i think he has fungus or something. what do is look like? how do i treat it, will it go away on its own. he is now in a 10 gallon tank with filter and air pump. he is very active and eating well.

since he was not planned i have not been able to purchase test kits for the water yet, i did use water condition in the tank though and right now i use a net to try and clean up waste and old food till i can get a siphon

album.php

album.php

if pics dont work the picturs are in my album called nomi tiger salamander larvae, please look please help

i dont understand how to post pics to the forum if anyonw would like to explain im new here
album.php

Last edited:
So i recsued him from being bait and kept in horrible conditions but i think he has fungus or something. what do is look like? how do i treat it, will it go away on its own. he is now in a 10 gallon tank with filter and air pump. he is very active and eating well.

since he was not planned i have not been able to purchase test kits for the water yet, i did use water condition in the tank though and right now i use a net to try and clean up waste and old food till i can get a siphon

album.php

album.php

if pics dont work the picturs are in my album called nomi tiger salamander larvae, please look please help

i dont understand how to post pics to the forum if anyonw would like to explain im new here
album.php

Can you try uploading the pictures on photobucket.com or something and then putting in the link from there into your post, Because your pictures are not loading for me, where your pictures should be it says [U]"Click the image to open in full size" [/U]
But when I click that link, it just says "Loading" then doesn't load any thing... I'm sure if you get these pictures working right someone might be able to help you out asap!

You can upload the pictures directly to the forum using the "manage attachments" button on every new post.

ok i think i got the pics up.

So i recsued him from being bait and kept in horrible conditions but i think he has fungus from it or something. what does itlook like? how do i treat it, will it go away on its own. he is now in a 10 gallon tank with filter and air pump. he is very active and eating well.

since he was not planned i have not been able to purchase test kits for the water yet, i did use water conditioner in the tank though and right now i use a net to try and clean up waste and old food till i can get a siphon

he was in hot dirty water before, it was terrible.

i feed him blood worms and water temp is just under 70 degrees

seems to have white by gills and a spot on his head and some white on tail

Attachments

• nomi eating.jpg
    nomi eating.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 156
  • nomi          face.jpg
    nomi face.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 154
  • nomi gills.jpg
    nomi gills.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 162
  • nomi back.jpg
    nomi back.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 148
  • nami.jpg
    nami.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 148
He looks pretty darned good to me. I'm having trouble seeing anything that looks like fungus. With continued good care, I think he'll be fine.

I'm with Jennewt, I don't see anything to worry about either.

I'm a little concerned about those seashells though. Shells tend to leech calcium into the water and that can mess your chemistry all up. Also, those glass stones might be a worry if they are smaller than his head - somebody can correct me if I am wrong about either, but wouldn't want your tiger to accidentally inhale one of those stones.

Thanks!!! Are you all sure the white before his gills is not a concern?

Can any one recommend something i can put in the water for him to hide in that i might have around the house. I´ll take the seashells out, the stones are much bigger than his head . I´ts hard to tell in the picture though. I have a terricada pot brand new but will that mess up the chemistry in the water? I want him to feel safe and secure. What about a ceramic coffee cup??

Last edited by a moderator:
Fungus usually looks kind of fluffy, like cotton - so I think you're fine. Glad to see how observant you are though! ;)

People have used both the pots and cups as hides. I use pvc pipes in my axolotl tanks camouflaged with artificial plants - they're not too pretty but they are cheap. Some plants would help too btw. At this stage, they act pretty axolotl like and several of mine prefer hanging out in the plants instead of the hides. Best of luck with him/her!

To dragonlady
Thank you so much!

I have got very attached to him and want him to be safe and healthy!

I still need to buy several things he must have, just waiting till I have some extra money.

What kind of live plants do you use in your tank?

I plan on getting some aquarium sand and a siphon and chemical test kits.

Have a look for play sand - it should be a lot cheaper than aquarium sand. It will need rinsing.

Eva's right, play sand will be much cheaper. When she says rinse it, she means it! This stuff takes a long time. Also, I would suggest sifting it for small gravel before you rinse it.

There are two popular methods to rinse: The first is to put some in a pillowcase and run it under your bathtub faucet or garden hose. The second method is to put the sand in a bucket and force the end of your hose down into the center. Run until you see the water run clear. Both are very time consuming methods, but the cleaner you can get the sand before adding it, the happier you both will be!

As far as live plants, I am lazy and have a terminal brown thumb! I use artificial but do have a few moss balls and java moss. The most popular live plants tend to be java fern and java moss.

I hope you've had a look at the caresheet for these wonderful animals. Here it is if you haven't: Tiger Salamanders. ;)

Thanks. I did not know i could use play sand, i already have some for my hermit crabs, that´s great i thought it would make him sick, should i bake the sand too like i do for the crab to bake the germs out of it. So i rinse till the water comes up clear? ok

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back