55 Gallon Tank Standard, what is the maximum occupants?

mitcg

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Display Name
Misael (Means man on fire)
I was thinking I'd have 5 haning out in the same tank.. Is this a bad idea?

With good biological filtration if the tank is cool enough 5 adult axolotls should be fine in a 55 gallon tank. You will have to pay close attention to water quality and husbandry chores.

The rule of thumb is 1 gallon per inch of fish. You have to also factor in the growth potential of your fish.

another rule of thumb is a minimum 10 Gal to one adult axie, but axies can be different lengths of course.
55Gal is fine for 5, but as previously stated you will have alot of husbandry to be doing.
personally I would keep 4 or maybe even 3 in a tank like that.

but that's because I'm lazy.

It is also a general rule to allow one foot per axie, but you can get away with 5 in that tank with a decent filter or even a pair as I do. I used to only use a 501 but I went from 3 to 5 in that tank and it became immediately apparent that the 501 was going to need some help. I added a HOB type with the waterfall buffered through artificial vines. In addition, daily vacuuming is a must and be prepared to move their ornaments around pretty often too as nasties creep up under pretty easily!

Everybody gets along fine though and I don't have any major issues during feedings.

One little add-on that I thought I'd throw out there: if possible, you may want to make sure they're all the same sex, if you're getting adults: unless, of course, you plan to breed them. They'll all get along, but come winter, there will be an endless stream of eggs.

I'd go for two or three and if all goes well get another one, you could probably have 5 in a 55gal as long as theres enough floor space for the axies and enough space for a large hide/cave each (you will have your work cut out for you though!) Out of interest whats the floor space like in ur 55gal? length and width? My tank is 36in x 18in and feel that the max I could get away with is probably 2 axies (although I only have one at the mo) any more might be pushing it, with an extra 12in length could probably have 4 axies, any tank dimensions bigger than 48in x 18in should be okay for 5 axies!

As others have said you will be required to do daily spot checks with a turkey baster (husbandry chores) so might be more realistic only going for a one or two axies to begin with just to get the hang of it all and if you find it a breeze you can get as many as you think you can handle (with 4 or 5 being your max!)

55gal is good size so should be able to keep a few axies healthy and happy in there!

I started with 4 in my 55. Water quality once cycled was not and is not an issue. One guy is now in a rehab tank due to nipping problems.
My main advice would be that the more animals in the tank... the harder and more time consuming is the husbandry. I spend about an hour a night cleaning, feeding, etc. If you are inexperienced it can be a bit overwhelming at first. It's fun however. :happy:

Another issue is this... the more axolotls in the tank, the more important to have a lot of "complexity". By this I mean a lot of physical barriers that block the animals from seeing each other (thus reducing nipping) and providing them lots of places to hide and feel secure. This means you need to spend a lot more time/money planning hides, rocks, plants, etc. The setup photo on this page is a good example of a tank with a lot of complexity:
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Ambystoma mexicanum - Axolotl

Thank you all for your input. I only have 4 at the moment, they seem to be getting along just fine. I have a chiller and filter running all the time. Water quality is at its best.

I'll have the dimensions later on today. I'm at work at the moment.

Again thank you all.

No worries, Here to help! tis good to see all your water is in check you are obviously doing something right!

You gotta be carefull with that many axies as 5 axolotls can quickly lead to 500 axolotls and by that time you better kiss goodbye to your social life haha have fun! :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back