Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What to feed, scandinavians help me out :)

Beate88

Reaction score
Have had my axies for about a week now and trying to figure out what to base their diet on.

Bought a pack of frozen red larvae. Blood worms I guess is the english term for it.
Is this enough for them now that they are growing? I feed them about half of one serving twice per day, morning and evening.

Can I put some wild guppies in there for some exercise and stimulation? The spine of the fish wont hurt them? I see some people in here does that so I guess it's "allowed" :rolleyes:

Oh, and you scandinavians, if you would give me some tips on where to get the food in our pet stores? "our", i think we have a bit more limited selection than the us, but I could be mistaken.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi,

I think you are talking about the same thing that we use here in the States - frozen bloodworms.

How big are they? Unless they are tiny, you should only need to feed once a day, whatever they consume in 20 minutes or less.

Other food options include nightcrawlers (live ones), red wigglers (angle worms - may not be available in your country - I am not sure), sinking salmon pellets (Rangen or Zoo Med Newt). Check this out - maybe give you some other ideas - Food.

Beate88

Reaction score
They are about 12 cm I believe. Any suggestions to age when they are that size?

I don't think we have nightcrawlers here. Havent seen anything with that name. What are they?

dragonlady

Reaction score
I'd say they are less than 6 mo. of age. Maybe between 3 and 6 mo. old - axolotls grow at different rates so it is difficult to give an exact age.

At this size, they can handle live. If you look at that link I gave you, it shows a picture of nightcrawlers - we also call these earthworms if that helps. Babelfish says the translation is meitemark.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1