Axolotl growing a second head!

whyjune1st

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK that title may have been a bit misleading. My axolotl is not growing a second head she has stopped eating. I didn't want to make another thread that said "axy wont eat" so i thought that title might get some attention.

My axolotl Bjork has always been a finicky eater and her gills have never looked that healthy. I fed her an earthworm about a month ago and she regurgitated it and has not eaten since. She has been fridged for since then and I just recently put her back into the tank with her two tank mates to see if the warm up would trigger her to eat again. The weird thing is that when I try to give her an earthworm it looks almost like shes trying to strike for it but she doesn't go right for it and its just like a mini bite and lunge. She doesn't open her mouth the whole way and it doesn't seem like she really wants to eat it. Her tank mates are eating just fine. Just FYI

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Try feeding her 2nd head when it grows in. Offer it a variety of foods. Chopped earthworms, pellets, blackworms, frozen bloodworms etc.

Offer her different foods. What temp is your tank? Water nitrates, nitrites, ammonia levels? Is she stressed at all? Are her tank mates snapping at her?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back