Help!

setterchick

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have 2 fire bellied newts, one of the newts has been very active for the past two days, today we came home to find him upside down in the tank. We went to scoop him out and he started moving again, so we put him back in the tank and he tried going onto his favorite plant and fell over again, we put him in confindment in the critter carrier and don´t know what to do, the other newt is fine, they are both full grown, he's not moving much but his back leg was. We have had them for about a month. Thanx!

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the conditions they are in? Temperature, volume of water, parametres?
As you may or may not know, these are caught in China and imported elsewhere. The importation is a dreadful thing and those who survive, and then survive the pet-shops, are very stressed, often ill or starving.
Providing excelent care is essential for them to recover from the ordeal.

Moving it out of the tank was a good move, but the critter carrier is probably too small and will make the stress worse. Provide it with excelent conditions and a good diet, and monitor it closely (don´t disturb, though, and keep it cool and in a shady spot).
If you haven´t read it yet, make sure to check this link:
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back