Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Took some pictures of Wall-E, please look

Dreamtheory

Reaction score
Alright so i still have my fathers camera I borrowed from him so I decided to take some good photo's of Wall-E and his Environment so you guys and gals could take a look.

I would love to hear that you think he is healthy (He also just ate) so please let me know what you think.

P.S. He has hundred of little white spots alone his entire underside, is this bad, good, or normal?

wall-e1.jpg

wall-e3.jpg

princess3.jpg

wall-e2.jpg

wall-e4.jpg

wall-edirt.jpg

wall-edirt2.jpg

I know his Eco Earth is still too wet, but it has a lot less water than it did yesterday before I got home from work.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmifty5

Reaction score
the tank looks fine to me, a little wet still but it should pass (just don't water it for a while, the sal will be fine with his water bowl if things get too dry), I haven't owned a Spotted Sal so I can't say for sure but those spots look normal to me, they don't look like fungus or bacteria and they seem to be part of his natural coloration.

If you can it would nice to know exactly how much time is spent in his water bowl, this can help you know whether or not there is something wrong with your substrate, it also doesn't look like you have much room for burrowing.

tmarmoratus

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The spots are normal for A. maculatum. You may want to consider adding more substrate to the tank (2-3 more inches in depth), as they love to dig, otherwise all looks well.

Dreamtheory

Reaction score
Ok cool, thanks for letting me know, guess ill have to add a little more Eco Earth, or top soil if i can find a place to buy some from

Question though, How come a moderator changed my settings so i can't post until a moderator approves my post? I don't believe I did any thing wrong or say even one mean word when I'm posting in other peoples threads.

Manion

Reaction score
or top soil if i can find a place to buy some from

That's fine, but make sure there are no added chemicals. By the way, I see you're handling the salamander by a sink. If the water you get has chlorine in it, then I'd suggest getting some spring water. Two-Three gallons should last you several months.

Dreamtheory

Reaction score
That's fine, but make sure there are no added chemicals. By the way, I see you're handling the salamander by a sink. If the water you get has chlorine in it, then I'd suggest getting some spring water. Two-Three gallons should last you several months.

Thanks for the tip on the Top Soil, I'll have to do some searching then..

Yeah he is by the sink because right now his set-up is in out kitchen on the counter top. It's a temporary location seeing as we just moved into our new apartment 3 weeks ago, we still don't have everything set up the way we like it yet. And plus, he likes to walk around on my arms when I'm holding him, so I like to keep him above the counter tops so if he falls off he wont fall far.

And i have been using my bottled drinking water primarily, with the occasional tap water.

JWERNER

Reaction score
ok cool, thanks for letting me know, guess ill have to add a little more Eco Earth, or top soil if i can find a place to buy some from

Question though, How come a moderator changed my settings so i can't post until a moderator approves my post? I don't believe I did any thing wrong or say even one mean word

when I'm posting in other peoples threads

Some boards on the forum just require verification by a moderator.

Wall-E looks awesome!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
All posts in the advanced areas have to be moderated before they show up. It´s the same for everyone.

Handling is really not recommend at all. It should be completely avoided unless absolutely necessary.
I´m sure your salamander would apreciate a fairly deep cover of leaf-litter to hide under, give it a go.

Dreamtheory

Reaction score
All posts in the advanced areas have to be moderated before they show up. It´s the same for everyone.

Handling is really not recommend at all. It should be completely avoided unless absolutely necessary.
I´m sure your salamander would apreciate a fairly deep cover of leaf-litter to hide under, give it a go.

I don't handle him all the time, but probably twice a month. I just have him out for 2-3 minutes, let him roam around a little on my arms and in my hands. I like to check him out and see how he's using and get him moving a little bit

I re did all the substrate last night, we had a problem with ants getting in his habitat, they one killed a cricket and dismembered it, and two, they were going after his moss for some reason,

So i spent 30 minutes last night, getting the ants out, put in all new Eco Earth and all new moss. And moved his location to a different part of the kitchen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1