Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Turkey Baster? and other questions?

ladyleslie2013

Reaction score
I am still new to all this. What is the turkey baster for? Is it for Cleaning or Feeding or both? i have been reading about the feeding jar. I would like a little more info on it.

Also, I recently saved my tiger salamander larvae from my cousin from being used as bait. I don't have every thing i need for him yet. I also have no were to release him safely.

I have him in a 10 Gallon tank with filter and aeration. im using no substrate and have a pot for him and some fake plants to hide in. The water temperature is right at 70 degrees. Is this OK?

also i can not afford a master test kit and a siphon just yet. What can i do to keep him safe, how often should i do partial water changes since i cant check water conditions?

Would a turkey baster and a net help to keep the tank clean?

I am feeding him frozen blood worms once a day. Is this to much? he seem so hungry.

He is very active and seems to be happy chasing his own reflection around in the tank.

i just want to keep him safe and comfortable until i can get all the supplies i need. Thanks so much.

morphyrichards

Reaction score
A turkey baster is like a big pipette. It has a flexible bulb on the end of a long tube. You squeeze the bulb in with your hand, point the other end of the tube at messy loose stuff inside your tank, let go of the bulb and it sucks up the messy stuff! Definitely useful for cleaning.

As far as siphons go, I don't see why you should have to spend money on one. All you need is a length of tube, like some spare air line hose. And a bucket. You stick one end in your tank, lower the other end to below the water level in your tank and give it a quick suck with your mouth while watching the tube. As soon as you see water go into the tube and down past the water level in the tank quickly take your mouth away and hold the end over the bucket. You can now use the tube to 'hoover' around in your tank as it sucks out water and mess. I actually have a fast food restaurant straw attached to the part of the tube that goes in the tank as it makes it a bit easier to hoover with. And then once you've finished your siphon hoover you replace the water you took out with fresh dechlorinated water, and thats a water change done as well.

Crysta

Reaction score
A word on feeding, they will constantly eat if we gave them the chance.
Younger ones, feeding them everyday is fine.
Older ones - again feeding them everyday is fine but most need to be fed every 2 - 3 days.
It's different with every one (because of temperature and all sorts of reasons)
you need to experiment to see how much your guy needs to be fed.
One is well fed and healthy (in this regard) when their body/belly/torso is around the same width as their head (when looking down from over them)
Also try to get hold of some earthworms/nightcrawlers if you can

______

A ten gallon tank is ok for one young one, but 15 Gallons is a lot better (and i would say minimum) I recommend you upgrade as soon as possible.

____

70F is alittle high (but still around the safe area)
here's an arcticle on cooling that may help you. Cooling

here's some other arcticles you might find usefull.

Cycling
Feeding
Requirements
Housing

Welcome to the forum :) Best of luck with your guy.

Last edited:

lea

Reaction score
hi leslie
i use a feeding jar for my axies(1 jar each). It is a jar that is put into the tank so you can put the food in so the food doesnt go everywhere and mess your tank up.
I use my turkey baster to do daily spot cleaning. I would keep up with the daily spot cleaning and weekly 20% water changes until you can get the testing kits, you could also ask your local petshop if you could bring a water sample down for them to check it if you need. Good luck with your new friend.
I hope this helps
lea

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1