Hatchlings not eating advice

femme

Reaction score
Country
England
I have 5 hatchlings. 2 arrived hatched on tuesday, one hatched yesterday and 2 today. The 2 that arrived already hatched havent eaten and now one has died :(
I know they may not eat for a few days after hatching so I wasnt too concerned, but today is friday and they arrived tuesday and now one has died
I have been adding bbs but havent seen anyone eat or any bulging tummies. How much bbs should i add in one feeding? i have 2 babies per tub - im using the plastic containers you get chinese in. I'm not sure if im not adding enough bbs or if it was another reason it died.
I have been dropping a pile of bbs in front of them but as soon as the pile swims towards them the babies swim away. Do i saturate the whole tub with bbs or keep dropping little piles in?
I am rinsing the bbs before adding them.
Any advice is welcome as I dont want to lose anyone else.

Edited to add : I have read the rearing pages but am still unsure

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your loss...Have you had a look at this? Why Larvae Die

Might provide you with some additional info...

I had read that page also the rearing page but am still none the wiser. I have also looked through the forum going back about 15 pages in the egg, lavae & breeding section
I am using dechlorinated water. changing once a day and sucking out as much of the dead bbs i can, a few hours after feeding. I have noticed someone posted saying the bbs die around 24 hours after being put into the fresh water yet mine quit moving just a very short time after adding them. is that normal?
I know im over worrying but i really want to do my best and not lose any more babies

Hi there, sorry to hear about the problems you are having, have you tried daphnia? I raise my larvae on daphnia because I can't be bothered with all the raising and rinsing with brine shrimp! Daphnia will live with the larvae quite happily (until they're dinner!) You don't have to worry about cleaning out the dead ones, though obviously you will still have to do your regular water changes. I use a small pipette to suck up the daphnia, if there's any left, when doing a water change.
I also have a name of a good daphnia supplier, if you want to PM me I'll let you have the email. The seller will also give you great advice on taking care of the daphnia. Though as it's the weekend you'll not get the daphnia straight away, perhaps you could try to source some locally, some aquarium shops sell them as live food for fish.
Good luck with your babies.

thanks, I will pm yuo about the supplier.
I have this morning been out and about trying to find some daphnia. I eventually found some and have put some in with one of the babies. How many do i put in? this is still a part im unclear about. I'm worried about putting too many or too few in

You can't really put too many in! They should be swimming in food in the early days, they can't be overfed as larvae.

I keep worrying I am putting too many in as the lavae are sitting there minding their own business and when a bbs or daph touch it it shoots off and settles down somewhere else. I thought this might be stressful to them?
Will add more and see what happens!!!

I do think it's an interesting phenomena that the axies really seem to hate anything touching them. Mine always did the same thing. However, as the baby shrimp swim about the axies come into contact with them on their own terms and that's when they eat them. If you're feeding daphnia, the one thing I counted on was the plethora of other small swimming critters in the water as well. All of these things are food items to healthy axie larvae and I used to collect pond water and add some to my axie container daily. They did fine. Once they got beyond the smallest stage I started feeding them the newly hatched brine shrimp.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back