Question: Can you freeze worms???

zoezakella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zoe
Hi all, can anyone tell me whether you can freeze cut up worms at all and if so are they ok to defrost and give to your axie?? Also are there any other worms that you can do the same with, I want to vary my axies diet more as they are currently eating bloodworms, krill, mussels, earthworm & shrimp pellets but if I am honest I cant bare the thought of cutting worms up:uhoh: BUT if I have to I will as I know its a vital part to their diet was just wondering if there are ways around cutting them up myself lol, thanks in advance for any help!!! :happy: p.s. how often a week should they have worms, thanks.

That will not turn out well for you..You will end up with a wormy jello to put it nicely...

My question would be why would you want to? Worms should be the primary food source for your axie. They are the best nutritionally. So if you don't have good access (can't dig for them yourself), why not try a wormery? With your own wormery, you would have various sizes of worms in constant supply. There's an online site many UK members recommend - if you do a search for worms online UK here on the Forum, you should find it or maybe somebody can provide you with it - sorry I don't have it readily available.

How big are your axies? If full-grown, they can handle a whole earthworm believe it or not! They look quite silly tackling one, but they get it usually. The frequency should be daily until they are over 6 mo. or 18 cm long, then you can cut back to every other day. Some even cut their adults back to 2-3 times per week. As long as they maintain a good weight, it's all good. Their heads should be about the same width as their bodies when looking down on them.

Frozen bloodworms are fine. I am not familiar with the pellets you mention - just make sure they have a high protein/low fat content and they are more meat than meal on the label. As far as the krill and mussels you mention, these are marine (saltwater) critters, am I right? If so, these should be avoided as your axolotls are freshwater critters.

yuck dont want worm jelly thanks :) dont worry have access that is not a problem was worried my guys were too small for a whole one so when I ordered some was going to get them cut up but cant do that now if they cant be frozen.

My axies are 4 inches long at the moment and I was told to feed them every other day but then I was also told by the place i acquired my axies to feed them krill, mussels etc oh boy let me guess I have got it wrong again :(

Thanks so much for your help I really appreciate it and if I could feed a whole one then that would solve the whole cutting problem :happy:

Mussels and krill are not adequate, don´t listen to that kind of advice.
As it´s been said, worms freeze badly...you might want to make an indoor culture instead to have live worms always at hand.

Thanks Cloudy have been on there :)

Azhael - apologies still working my way around this site and found out about frozen worms later on thanks for the advice on the krill etc will bin today!

mmmmmmm.... worm Jello! We should ask Kraft Foods to make that flavor!

I would say try it. I did freeze worm chunks once, as I was going on vacation and needed to make things simple for the caretaker. For me it worked just fine. They didn't turn to jelly/jello and the newts still ate them. It may depend on the type of worm.

well seems all 3 can VERY EASILY handle a full worm so no worries about the cutting part phew :happy: Have never seen such speed in eating something, poor worm had not even hit the floor before Mojo grabbed it ;)

they love worms!!

how many do you feed a 18 cm axolotl? mine is about that size and I feed him (or her...) 1 earthworm a day everyday, about 4-5 cm and he seems to be still hungry!!

Should I feed him more once or am I doing well? looking up his body is about the size of his head, not wider for sure.

I twould be better to feed it more in one sitting and instead of feeding daily, feed every 3-4 days. Once fully developed, i would even recommend every 5 days or so.

thanks!!

and when can I think its fully developed? I have him since december and its now at 18 cm and hasnt grown from there... I think he's like that since april or so... do you think he will grow more?

Zoe I would suppliment with bloodworm until they get bigger. Unless you can find lots of smaller worms.
I have some that if you give them a worm too big will vomit it back up a while later.

Daremo - Judge it by belly size. I would say he prob wont grow much more if he's been that size since april.

My adults feed one to two times a week. (more if my boyfriend is here spoiling them!!)

Mel

so for a 18 cm axolotl how many earthworms (about 4-5 cm each) should I feed in one take?
should I try 2 worms in one take, then don't feed for 2 days, feed again... is that better than 1 worm a day?

he seems to be always hungry... but he's not thin

Mine ALWAYS seem to be hungry lol.
Mine get 2 worms each (fairly chunky ones) at each feed which is about twice a week.

As long as his belly is as wide as his head then all is well. Alter feeding accordingly :D

Mel

hehe

I just gave her (I think its a her...) 3 worms, not very fatty ones... and I will not feed her for a couple of days and see if she wants to eat me or if she hangs out well!

ok my post seems to have been hijacked ;)
MEL - I feed mine bloodworms and earthworms but boy do they love the worms!! interesting reading all the rest as my guys are 5 inches now and are currently getting fed daily on advice from another member and they are getting 2 worms each a day or bloodworms is that right??? cheers :happy:

My axie can eat worms as long as he is (bout 28cm) I tend to feed him about his length in worms every other day (so a few small ones, bout 3 medium ones or one big one!)

Dont know if this is right but it works for me!

as always cheers Mel xx :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back