Adding sand

malcorn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I am new and I'm getting the tank set up before getting my axolotls this Sunday.

My question, and I hope it isn't too stupid, is....at first I was going to leave my tank bare bottom but then decided to buy some childrens play sand. I added it to my tank this morning before work and expected it to cause the water to be cloudy. I went home a few hours later to check on things and it was still very cloudy. I am probably just being paranoid, or so I hope, but how long does it take to settle and be clear again? Or did I add the sand incorrectly?? Argh

Thanks so much for any help!

Did you rinse it? Even with very thorough rinsing you still get some cloudiness for a few hours....and i´m talking serious rinsing here....
If you didn´t rinse it at all, the cloudiness might be permanent (since every time the sand is disturbed you get cloudiness). In that case, just take it out, rinse it properly until the water is clear, and put it back.

Hi there & welcome :happy:

Ok did you wash the sand before you put it in?? If not that will be why its cloudy :( When you put sand in a tank you need to put it in a large bucket first and stick a hose in it and basically let it run clear then its ready to put in your tank.

If you haven't I am not too sure on your next steps but am sure someone else can step in and help!!

Good luck with getting your tank sorted & with your new axie, enjoy ;)

I did rinse the sand before putting it in the tank but I guess not well enough. Now that you mentioned the bucket idea I remember reading that and wish that I would have done that instead of how I did it. So, what do you suggest I do now? I'm going home in a couple more hours, it will have been 8 hours since I put the sand in. If by tomorrow it isn't settled do I start over? I want to make sure my water is good for my new axies though. I have had this water sitting since Monday night. Thanks for your quick replies!!!

If the clouding persist for more than 24 hours, you might want to star over.
Also, consider that in order to provide good conditions to the axolotls, you need to properly cycle the tank. It´s a process that usually takes about a month. You can read about it in the forums and in the links in my signature.

Ok, I'll read up on cycling the tank. Should I not get them this weekend?? What do you think of me using a filter in the tank for the next day and a half? would that help clear it up?

Well, since the tank is obviously not cycled, i would strongly recommend that you wait.
Cycle it properly, have everything ready, start some cultures even, THEN get the animals. That way you´ll avoid lots of problems and the experience will be better both for you and for the animals.

Hello again, try the bucket idea worked a treat for my sand :happy: Also def use a filter just make sure the flow is gentle as axies dont like a strong flow but they can be messy and a filter is quite esential to keep their water clean for them as good water conditons are vital to their health, good luck :talker:

Also, one way of quickstarting the cycling is if you have a friend with an allready cycled tank. Then you can cut a piece of that sponge (ask before :p) and add it to your own. That way you get a "starterset" with bactieria that will break down the nitrit/ammonia levels.
Or get the quick start fluid on a can from a local aquarium store.

Added sand myself a little while ago, and it was cloudy for about 24 hours. Then another few days and it was clear. I didnt rinse it even.

beate, sounds like you still need to rinse your sand, sandy dust takes far longer to settle than sand, and well rinsed sand should settle in an hour or so, your dust may have settled now, but it could become a problem every single time you disturb it even slightly, and therefore a long term problem.

Thanks for all the advice. I did put a filter in and now the tank is much better. I took a water sample to have tested today and my ammonia level was 4 parts per million!! I did buy some Safe Start and added that but I have decided to wait until my tank cycles. I put ten rosy minnows in there today and already five have died. I can't let that happen to my axies!! So, even though I was looking forward to getting them tomorrow I have decided to wait a couple more weeks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back