Barred tiger salamander illegal in CA?

imnew

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, as you can tell i am new but i have done research as to how to take care of tigers, but today i found out that California tiger salamanders are illegal. I contacted the person selling them to me that is from Florida and he said it is illegal to Field Collect Tiger salamanders in California but the Barred tiger Salamander is from Texas and is legal here. Is this Correct? I don´t wish to break any laws.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is unlawful to import, transport, or possess any animal in the family Ambystoma in California except under a permit issued by the Department of Fish and Game.

Man! Another reason to hate california!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, plus ferrets are illegal and the whole place is about to fall into the ocean.

Well Im excited that Palm Springs will be Palm Beach-II in twenty years. And California will be an Island......ooohhhh!

Man! Another reason to hate california!

It's not so bad really. Most caudates outside of Ambystoma are legal to keep and breed in CA. There are other states that are much more restrictive, particularly WA and OR.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back