Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Egg Pictures - Are they OK?

Reaction score
My eggs arrived yesterday evening(very well packed - thanks Mariah!). I had their tubs with dechlorinated water all set up and gently put the eggs all in one, leaving two other tubs ready for when they start hatching. Late last night, I see one is partway out of the egg, and this morning another is also out of the egg(the first is still partially in the egg). However, the one that is completely out is not moving and doesn't look developed to the point where it should have hatched from all the pictures I've looked at. The one that is partially out is not moving very much either :( And from what I've read, I should see some movement of the larva in the egg, which I don't...

I've attached pictures - can anyone tell me if they're OK? Today(Saturday) is day 15, so I know they still have time to hatch, but I am concerned with the lack of movement. Maybe it got too hot for them as they were in the delivery truck for over 12 hours yesterday before they arrived to me...

Attachments

• DSC01839.jpg
    DSC01839.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC01843.jpg
    DSC01843.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC01849.jpg
    DSC01849.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC01850.jpg
    DSC01850.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

Birthdayboy

Reaction score
Hey, I got some from the same batch of eggs and It's the same deal. I have yet to notice any movement. Some seem pretty developed, but they havent changed at all. They look just like your eggs.

Reaction score
Uggh - I hope at least some of them make it! I have their brine shrimp hatching. The one that is half in/out seems to be moving a little bit, so hopefully that is a good sign. But the one that hatched isn't moving at all, so I think its dead :/

Please keep me updated on yours if you don't mind.

Birthdayboy

Reaction score
Sure. I think mine might be a little worse off. None have moved at all (from what I can tell). None of mine apear to be hatching either. Only about five are really developed, the rest are just balls.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
What temperature is their water..if its very cool, the development will be slower. The 3rd picture looks ok to me. The others may not progress. But do check the water temperature.

bayhicoach

Reaction score
At this stage of development you should be able to see movement within the egg casing. When I got mine from the same source, they were already hatched and swimming about but another shipment I got was still in the eggs and took some time to hatch at about 66 degrees F. I would spend a bit of time staring at individual eggs until the animal moved to make sure they were alive. All eventually hatched. When they did, however, they weren't very active. I could make them swim by moving the container a bit. After a while you get used to what's okay and what's not. BTW, the eggs I got from Mariah produced some goldens (beautiful) and some albinos (lovely animals in their own right). So, keep up the faith. I personally think it's still too hot to ship these critters and plan to wait until it cools down considerably before I order more.

bayhicoach

Reaction score
An additional comment on the brine shrimp. There's a great deal of discussion about the food value of brine shrimp once they are beyond a day or two old (their yolk sack has been consumed) since you probably are not feeding them. So, I'd suggest not starting a new brine shrimp hatch until you have swimming axo larvae. The axos won't eat for a couple of days themselves while they are absorbing their own yolk sacs.

Reaction score
I've been staring at them and there really isn't movement - the only time they move is when I move the water and they rock with it, but no movement on their own...I'm afraid the heat may have done them in, but I'm just going to leave them be and hope that at least a few will make it.

And I am definitely holding off on doing more brine shrimp until they hatch - I just wanted to be prepared if some had arrived already hatched...now my fishies will have some yummy snacks for the next few days!

Reaction score
The water is at 68 F, so not too cold. I made a diagram of how they are positioned and none have changed since this morning - but I'm still having some hope since they're not covered in fungus. The two that sort of hatched(last two pictures), i believe just had their eggs broken open in transit as they're starting to decompose :/ I was really looking forward to these little guys hatching and watching them grow.

chipstone

Reaction score
I got some eggs too from this batch. My seem "stagnant". Just balls with no movement or development.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1